Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a propper valve amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 14, 2005.

1. I need a real valve. I've come to the conclusion that nothing else is gonna get me the tone I want without a propper valve. Any suggestions?

2. Hmm I really need a cab too. Can you get a combo with a valve in?

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ampeg B15 but those are very expensive and not all that power full.

Tube combo's would be very heavy as tube heads weigh stupid amounts really. There was one mentioned in the back of bass player this month but I'm at work so I don't have it near me I'll post you the name when I get home.

Also don't give up on the sansamp it seems to work for so many other people that get that tone your looking for.

I think you might need to go to a big bass shop in London and try out full sized rigs to see if they get that sound as tube heads are very expensive and heavy and still might not get that tone.

Hope this helps

4. Spose I just need to travel about and try everything. They have an SVT 8x10 in a shop i'm off to soon, so I'm gonna plug my bass in and let rip on it. I'll also take my Sansamp, to see if the sansamp/tube may be what I'm after, you never know.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Didnt you recently go through a big amp buying fiasco? :D If you need a tube amp get an SVT and call it a day.

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Methinks you don't know WHAT you want Nick.... :rollno:

I thought this Ashdown you got was what you were looking for... :confused:

And then the SansAmp was what you were looking for.... :confused:

Try settling with what you have for a while and experimenting with it. You have quality equipment capable of almost any sound you could desire... Of course, how it sounds in your bedroom is not how it will sound onstage on or a quality recording. If you keep trying to get the Nickelback 'Never Again' sound I don't think you will ever get it.... actually, you probably already have it but don't realise! :rollno:

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Wouldnt that be Peavey related?

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I don't remember there being any fiasco and I was there. Infact it was quite a sucess since we met Doug Wimbish and got free tickets to see Living Colour.

I agree with cetera you might already have this sound and just not realise it :cool: try recording and see what your recorded tone sounds like.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The recording suggestions is absolutely mint, IMO. I've found, constantly, that the sound I dial in by myself, doesn't even sound similar when I hear it on a recording, especially when you mix in the other instruments.

To the topic at hand though, since you already own a Sansamp BDDI, I can assure you that you can nail the "Never Again" tone. I recorded a song with my band using a '97 Warwick Corvette (modded with some DiMarzio model J's), all passive, using a pick with heavy attack, through my Sansamp BDDI, straight to the board, and in my mind I nailed the exact tone you're looking for. This was a while ago, but I'll see if I can find the recording and post it.....

10. Right. *gets thumb bass*

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Touche... thats why I was asking. It must have been all the bass wanting fiascos that I recall. Sorry my mind is blurry. :oops:

12. No, that's Mesa/Boogie related. He used warwick basses at that time, and mesa boogie amps.

13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Gear doesn't give you tone. It makes it easier to get the tone that's in your head & hands.

Practice.

You're right, though, in the sense that tube amps offer something that no SS rig can duplicate.

14. Dont waste your money ive been full circle from Ashdown to Ampeg Hybrid to Ampeg SVTCL all tube and then back again to Ashdown. Take it from me ( a gigging bassist ) that you always think there is a better sound out there.The Ampeg SVTCL known as the one to aim for is good but its not that special really, ok if you crank it with a 810 cab or two and play wembley arena every other night while touring with the Darkness, but wait i bet like me most of us play for fun in a pub or bar to people who cant tell any difference between Ampeg , Ashdown, Trace or any other make .

Save your money and work on your technique and see other bands ( local ) and see how good they sound with there gear.
    I see loads of bands locally some using Trace some Hartke, some Ashdown, very few Ampeg, some Peavey and they all have a great sound. The difference is you are the other side of the fence with a beer in your hand with the whole band sound and it works. When you stand in front of your bass cab it doesnt sound the same 30ft in the audience etc.

15. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I don't recall your other posts, but I think it's completely valid to feel that you need a tube amp. Like a lot of people, I started off on tube gear and over the years allowed music store clerks to convince me that that was old news- rack gear, that's what all the top guys are using (that was in the late 80's, early 90's), no a hybrid head witha 12ax7 in the preamp for "tube warmth", that's the ticket. Absolute bollocks (I believe is the expresison in your neck of the woods). You want a tube sound? Get a big, heavy tube amp. I've been all tube for several years and I'll never go back. Sansamp my ass, tubes is tubes and that's that. Put another way; some geek in a store might tell you that a pod setting sounds exactly like an AC30, but don't try to pass that crap off on Brian May.

Try an SVT, try to find the Trace Elliot V series (I have a V6 and it's killer), try the Mesa Boogie 400+. No bitching about the weight, that's part of the deal .