Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a real cheap, not so bad upright bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JBasstorius, Jul 10, 2002.

1. JBasstorius

JBasstorius

Apr 30, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Does anyone know where I can get a ridiculously cheap upright bass that won't desintegrate when I touch it? It's that I'm pretty poor and I've saved as much money as I can and I need one soon. All information is useful.

Thanks,
    Jbass

2. moondoggie

moondoggie

Dec 22, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I talked to one guy who took a music class at a local community college and rented a real nice carved German bass for about 30 dollars a semester, and they taught him how to play it. If you go to a reputable music store you are going to pay an honest price for an instrument. If you try and find a deal and you don't know what to look for then you're on your own. You might find a bass you can afford but later realize that you can't afford the repairs neccessary to make it play. Don't be in a hurry. If you are serious about buying a bass then start doing your homework. With a little knowledge, you will be able to better evaluate a "good deal" before you purchase. At least you will know what you are spending your money on. You didn't say where you are located but classified ads and pawn shops sometimes turn up good deals. But you have to be persistent and know what your looking at............Good luck

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You can sometimes find deals at bluegrass festivals. But as said above in the long run it might not be a deal.