1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a REALLY LIGHT passive jazz bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jan 23, 2012.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Title says it all. I don't have the ability to go out and try all kinds of basses locally and pick the lightest. We have no selection. I want a passive jazz tone in a super light weight (like 7 pounds or less) undersized jazz type bass body.

Possible?

2. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Hold one hand in the air and pretend it's fretting. Hold the other down and pretend you're plucking. There, you've got the lightest bass of them all. Air bass!

They make them in all types - J, P, L, B, Q, Z, you name it.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    JohnK_10 can help you out.

4. Short scale SX comes to mind.

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

J basses tend to be the heaviest of the Fender line. I suggest you look at the clones from outfits like Brice and Jay Turser, which are often made with lighter woods. And the short scale SX was probably the first J-style bass that came to mind.

I had a JTB-401 (Turser P-copy) that was a 34" and just over 7 pounds.

6. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Don't know what your budget is ????, but I have a Dingwall Exotic SJ4 with active/passive.(7.5 lbs.) It is "NOT" for sale, but I'm sure Sheldon could hook you up with a passive only, that comes in around 7.25!

7. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Fender Roadworn Jazz bass. They must be made of balsa.

8. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i bought one of the medium scale sx jazz basses. it's under 7lbs. 7/8 size body. it sounds great - not thumpy like a short scale. just an idea.

9. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Nothing wrong with the suggestions, but if you look at the OPs profile, I don't think (I could be wrong) that he is looking for an SX or such.

10. You may be able to get a Carvin B40 close to that. My 5 string B50 with humbuckers and a preamp is only 8.4 pounds.

11. fender aeorydyne? It's a PJ with a slimmed down body. I know it's under 9 pounds, but not sure of the official weight. Owners, pitch in? Definitely a great looking bass.
    FenderĀ® Products

12. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Hey SteveC,
    I see you are in North Dakota. Not sure where, but if you ever want to try a Dingwall, it's only a couple hours drive!!!

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Well sort of—they are fairly light. Mine is just over 9 lbs, IIRC

14. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Yamaha BB404 is super light, ~5 pounds or there about.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    :smug:

I should update that. I currently have no basses. I am using a friends Geddy Lee, but it seems heavy. Most jazz basses do. I wish I liked the sound of a P more. They are ALWAYS light.

16. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i own much more expensive basses too but i wouldn't discount an SX because of that.

btw fender japan has a medium scale jazz bass (check ebay) but I dont know about the weight on that one.

17. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    +1 The man refuses to make a heavy bass! I don't think he'll do an undersized/dinky body though.