1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i need a recomendation please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huckingfuskie, Sep 15, 2008.

1. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    Things are really comming around for me! When i started playing bass i didnt expect anything grand, just for fun kind of thing. 1 year later i find myself jamming with pros, whos skill i can only dream of someday achieving.

Anyways, the point is, my beginner set up no longer cuts the slack. So, upgrading now, i bought myself a bongo 4 string. :bassist: Im not yet quite ready to start building my dream rig, but i need a good, compact, reasonably transportable (by bus) combo amp. This is stricly a practice/jamming amp thats good to use with a bongo.

thank you in advance for your recomendations!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Nice, transportable combo . . . I would look into Genz or Markbass.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's the "reasonably transportable by bus" part that can make it expensive. I've got a little 150 watt GK MB150S combo that weighs only 26 lbs and puts out a great sound. It's one of the easist to haul around and still sound big that I've owned. The price is good for what you're getting--about $800 depending on where you buy it. I don't know how loud you need to play though, but it'll sound good with a Stingray and any other good bass. If you need something louder and still around that size and weight you can expect to pay more if you care about sound.

Go out and try some amps with your bass. That's the only way you'll know. Rent something for a couple nights if you can and give it a workout in the environment you'll be using an amp. It's worth the cost.

All the recommendations in the world won't mean a thing unless you try the amp first. Descriptions of sound between various forum members vary widely.

Don't bother with reviews in bass magazines either as they're just other opinions which may not be valid for you at all.

4. +1 but I clarify: recommendations at least give you a starter list with which you can begin trying stuff.