Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a review of Jerzy drozd basses..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cat_saltnpepper, Aug 29, 2005.

1. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    About to order one, need some reviews about its tone besides great look.

2. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello Cat,

you can find a review of an Excellency 5 on Harmony centrale.
    I also know that at least one member on TB has a Jerzy.
    On Jerzy site, there is also a review made by a famous German magazine "gitarr bass" or something like that.
    Anyway, Jerzy are realy incredible instruments from what I've read and heard.

Shiveringbass, bassist for Shivering.

3. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Jul 21, 2005
    scotland
    Hi TB'ers.This is my first post on TB so forgive me if i mess it up!!I've had my Jerzy Drozd bass for about six months and can honestly say it is by far the best instrument i have ever played.The playability is fantastic and the sound is everything i always heard in my head but could could never seem to coax out of other basses.I was lucky enough to buy a 5 string signature model that was made to be shown at Winter NAMM and until i am able to post pics you can see my bass by going to www.luthiersaccessgroup.com and clicking on the NAMM pics in the gallery section(mine is the spalted maple sig with the inlay at the back of the booth behind JERZY!!). :hyper:

4. FYI.... Dan Lenard (Luthier's Access Group) just got 4-5 new Drozd basses in.... they look awesome. Dan ordered what seems to me to be the optimum model... the high end bolt-on model (I think it's the Excellency Model). There's an Ambronia top (never heard of that wood) bass that is just amazing... I actually had it on hold for a day... and then thought... am I nuts?! Too many basses already. So, it's up for grabs.

I've become a huge fan of high end bolt-ons!

PS Dan's a great guy to deal with also.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  6. Just played a beautiful Drozd 4 string on consignment down at LDS in Detroit. I had never played one before. This was an older model with Bart J pickups. It had a huge number of laminates on the neck... seemed to be some combination of wenge, purpleheart, maple... all the usual suspects. Seemed like light mahogany or alder body with a beautiful maple top. The neck seemed extended scale... maybe 35", but it might just be the neck pocket, etc that made it seem long. Also, had very small 'mandolin frets'... not sure if that's standard on Jerzy's instrument.

Anyway... only played it for a minute, and it basically sounded like a typical high end bass with Bartolini's (warm, punchy, smooth)... those Bart J pickups (IMO) really have a sound of their own. However, just wanted to say the fit and finish on this bass is absolutely perfect... amazing attention to detail... first rate through and through. I would love to hear one of his basses with his new proprietary single coil type pickups... I bet they are amazing.

7. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    I did check Jerzy's and several review site like harmony central, bgra and of course, TB:)

I was hoping to get more about how it sound like sound sample and etc. I'll probably order through Joey from Joeygmusic. I did little research of my own through internet and it seems his store carries more custom basses from outside of U.S. then anyone else.(and I happen to have store credit :meh: )

I heard Jerzy's now using bartolini X pick up, does anyone know it's configuration?(single coil, humbucker?)

I'm not crazy about look of the bass but Jerzy does makes some exotic stuff..

oh, and THANK YOU for the people who gave me information, it was really helpful. God bless:)

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    What ever happened to JT's schedule of new bass reviews that was supposed to start with his new JD 7 stringer he teased us about for a few days????

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    What happened to his RItter? in fact what happened to JT I don't see him as much as I used to.

10. I played that bass when I went up to LDS not but a week ago for a birthday bass trip. It was definetley my favorite bass I played that day.

Do you have any idea what model it was?

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    DOH!!! That was right, it was a Ritter he was starting out with. Maybe it was a JD that was supposed to be second. Haven't seen JT in a while myslef, but I just figured our paths hadn't crossed. Maybe (hopefully) he's busy getting some new music together and not bailing out his basement from Katrina.

12. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    I just received e-mail from Joeygmusic, apprently, they think Jerzy won't be a great choice.

I didn't go over all the details about the bass I was about to order but it was definitely disappointing and discouraging news to hear. :scowl:

Again, I'm asking your opinion. :help:
    I mainly play pop, jazz, latin and so called fusion or world music. I have maybe 1~3% rock influence(enough to respect it), definitely not a hard picker or finger player.

I used to own fodera emperor with walnut body and rosewood fretboard but I always wanted bit more tender high and round bottom.

I know there are not many Jerzy drozd owners out there but seriously, I need your advise here.

Thanks.

13. It was the high end bolt-on model... the Excellency, I think.

14. Hmmm.... A Fodera Emperor with walnut and rosewood, especially if it had Aero's would have a very polite, sweet high end and a huge, fat bottom :confused: Are you saying that bass was too 'aggressive' for you? It that's the case, I'm not sure what to recommend! I was thinking about a Stambaugh if you want something 'boutique and high end' that is relatively warm, sweet, round and mellow... especially with the Aero dual coils that he uses.. Why do they think the Drozd wouldn't be the right bass for you? That might help point us all in the right direction?

15. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Jul 21, 2005
    scotland
    Hi cat saltnpepper.My Jerzy Drozd signature 5 string sounds great and i can assure you if u order a bass from Jerzy u wont regret it.My bass has Jerzy's own pickups and an Aguilar 3 band preamp(OBP3) which produces huge warm bottom end and highs which can be mellow or biting depending on how u use the pre.The bass has a 13 piece flamed maple purpleheart wenge and bubinga neck and a 7 piece flamed walnut maple and bubinga body with a spalted maple top(neck through).There are many fantastic basses out there and a Jerzy Drozd is definately one of the best.PS in my opinion the sound of a bass is more to do with whos playing it and not about the tiny details of construction.Good luck with your decision.Take care. :)

16. Sounds like a beautiful bass. I agree that much of the sound comes from the player... but... different basses can sound, play and react SO differently, have such different neck profiles, different string spacing, different tonal characteristics, that IMO if you can match your playing style to the 'optimum' instrument, any player can not only sound better, but actually play better. Even though I post a lot on the site and am a total gear head, I spend MUCH more time thinking about the music.... however... this is the gear part of the site... and a great place to noodle minutia :D

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Get in touch with Dan Lenard at Luthier's Access Group and talk with him about them. He has owned/played dozens I'm sure. He could probably tell you anything you might want to know.

Here's the URL: http://www.bassbuilders.com/

Did they say why they thought the Drozd wouldn't be a good idea?? Does JoeyG Music deal in Drozd basses?

18. Jerzy Drozd

Jerzy Drozd Jerzy Drozd Basses

Jan 5, 2005
    Barcelona SPAIN
  19. Hello Mr. Drozd.... sure do like your basses. Iam in discussions with Dan regarding that beautiful Ambronia topped instrument. I've never heard of that wood before, but it's just beautiful. Dan does a wonderful job representing your basses, and was the one that got me interested in your beautiful instruments a while back.