I Need A Review!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 13, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm an excited man. I think I'm gonna be getting my first non-crappy bass soon. So I went down to my local L&M today to test out some basses. I found an Ibanez bass, a six string BTB something. I found that six strings made it quite difficult to slap, so I wondered if they had it in a fiver (tuned EADGC) and they do make one, but the store had none in stock. I figured I'd check the price of the six anyway, and was shocked that it was only $730 (Canadian too!). That means the five would be even cheaper!

I didn't get to play it for very long, but it sounded really nice. Cool features like a locking input, cool looking hardware, a weird (but cool) bridge, etc. Cool transparent colour and all.

But I figure at that price, there's gotta be a catch. Something has to be wrong with it, it's one of the 'to-good-to-be-true' situations. One thing I didn't like was that the battery door needed to be unscrewed, which seems like it would be a hassle (unlike the awesome StingRay battery doors).

So is there a catch, or is this just an awesome bass at a low price? If anyone owns or has owned this bass, I'd love a full review. I just hope the battery door is the only problem! ;)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Graeme :bassist:

EDIT: Also, how does the BTB Prestige line differ from the original series? And, what kind of price increase is going to be involved?
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
  3. The only bad things I have ever heard about the BTB series basses, are the poorly made Neutrik locking jack. Ive heard that they often come loose, or that the wires come off of them.

If I were you, I wouldn't let that stop me from picking one of those puppies up. They are a great bass for the buck IMO, if not the best.

I think that the pristige line may just use more exotic woods, and offer different electronics. That's just a guess by me, and something that you're going to have to search for yourself.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    The new prestige line is neck-through instead of bolt on.

Assume you mean that the jack connections are bad? Neutrik is great stuff, I'd severely doubt the jacks themselves are bad.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I agree about Neutrik being top notch. If anything it would be Ibanez's install of the jack that may be faulty if anything. I have one on my Dingwall and one going on my Skjold as well. The locking jack is a great feature to keep you from stepping ona cord and pulling it out while your amp is running full blast.

Before I got the Dinger, I was planning on buying the BTB for my 5-string as well. It was before they introduced the prestige line though.