i need a rig for 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iamthemusicman, Sep 28, 2002.

1. i have around 400 bux to spend on a head and a cab and im not sure what to do. as far as heads go i can get a 140 watt hartke head or a suposedly 200 watt rouge head. im leaning towards the rouge head but i dont know much about it except its cheap and might suck so i want some feed back on that. and as far as cabs go i can get a 2 10 2 15 or a 4 10. but as far as cab wattages go i have no idea so just giv me what ever advice u can thanks
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    400 eh? Sounds like you want a Avatar cab (cheap, and from the reports around here, pretty good sounding) and a used head. I'd save up a bit more though, so you have a few more options. Carvin also makes some nice combo's for the price.

I believe you can get into a used Ashdown combo for 400 as well, if you really scour the net.

400 just doesn't go very far. Now 800, that can do some damage.

And for the love of Pete DON'T GO ROGUE!
  3. I would save longer as well. This way you can with an Ampeg combo or an Avatar cab with a used Ampeg head. Or head of your choice, I'm just an Ampeg guru. In stores mainly, B-100R at home.
  4. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are alot of choices, landing a used head that you like is gonna be the tough part. Go for an AVatar 210 or look for some Avatar stuff used it's starting to show up. But for a head look at some used Carvin gear, and I hate to say it Peavey. They are both good for the buck. And at $400 you don't have much of an option. Look for something with at least 200 watts.

And definitely stay away form Rogue.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    You can get a used eden nemesis combo amp for around $400.. I Had One and I recently sold it for $425 including shipping and what not
  6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    NEVER and I mean NEVER buy that head. Stupidly, i saw the thing for 199, and said go for it. It is pure crap. The thing crapped out on me the first day. The tone is awful, the eq is terrible, the only things useful on the whole amp is the power button and the contour. Plain and simply, do NOT go with anything rouge.