Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a set up; In CT.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by {OE}, Oct 21, 2004.

1. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    After a lengthy absence from the local "scene" I found out the place I used to go to no longer has the same bass player/tech. that I used to deal with. :crying:

Soooo, Im looking for a "store" that provides "pro." set ups in central/south central CT. ( preferebly New Haven area)

Any/all opinions welcome; who should I try/avoid? :ninja:

Im not swimming in cash, so I do not have the luxury of trying several out.

Thanks in advance! :bassist:

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I used to go to Joe's Guitars in Wallingford, but when I returned to the state a couple of years ago I found out he sold it to another "Joe"...LOL

Cool, thanks! They were one of my considerations as was G Guitars in New Haven, but have never dealt with either.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Try it yourself, depending on what you need. If it's anything to do with fretwork, yeah, get a pro, but there's no point in spending money on truss rod and bridge adjustments.

4. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Last I heard he was doing good, working in I.T. and still gigging with his Hendrix cover band.

Yeah, I did try it myself.... thats why it needs a pro set up now.... :eyebrow: :help: :D

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Sorry this maybe a little offtopic but what exactly is a "setup?" I'm guessing it's bridge, truss rod, and pickup adjustments...but is that it? I sometimes feel like the "feel" of my bass is off, and have been considering have someone take a look at it. Is a "setup" what I need? Or is it something else like a brain checkup? :)

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds like you need a setup.

Hahaha, touch√©. Good luck! ♪

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    last i saw joe he had cut his afro, quit playing entirely and was very very very clean cut. it may in fact be the same joe you ran into oe.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Where in Clinton does he work, Josh? I was going to just go to Caruso's in New London, but I'd rather go with someone with good bass experience.

BTW, NEVER use Music Center of Norwich.

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The absolute man in CT is Froc Filipetti. George Furlanetto of F Bass fame credits Froc for getting him started in the bass building biz, FWIW.

Froc works out of LaSalle Music in East Hartford (not the West Hartford store) 860-289-3500.

He's usually very busy, so he doesn't do a while-you-wait thing. In fact, expect to be without your bass for a week or so. He's a bit on the eccentric side, but in true artist/genius fashion. He truly is a master at his craft...and an incredibly talented jazz guitarist as well.

And great ears run in the family...his brother Frank is a Grammy-winning producer/engineer (James Taylor).

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Froc did my tobias before i bought it. Mike from milford music sent it there for a workout. From what i hear he's the man.

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Actually...he may still be "dropped out", as I haven't had him do any work for me in quite awhile. That would be a shame, though. Sorry if I provided less than timely info. :oops:

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A guy who had a shop in Middletown did a very good fret & neck job on my old EB-0 about nine years ago. He also worked as a tech at Sam Ash (formerly Brian Guitars, IIRC) on Amity Road in New Haven (near the tunnel).

I'm trying to remember his name (maybe Jeff something?); I'll post it if my memory serves it up.

13. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I used to go to Brians Guitars all the time and pretty much bought everything I had from there as well.... Sam Ash is located in the building next to where Brians used to be.... I went there once.....I prolly wont go back, as I prefer that the "salesman" at least know as much ( hopefully more....) about the gear as I do...... :eek:

Re. Joe, the Joe that owns Joe's now is not the same.... Thats too bad he if he isnt gigging anymore, they were pretty good, and he was a great guy.... He used to let me just take gear home to try out without any deposit. ( Which is why I ended buying my SWR SM-400 and Eden 4x10 from him..... I had it for a week before I decided to buy it.)

Thanks guys, I'll check those out... One of these days I will learn how to do it properly myself, until then, thank god for competant tech.'s