1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need a song ID off this Louis Johnson radio interview

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by scatman, Mar 18, 2009.

1. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Whoa...it's called "Midnight Soul Patrol". It's from the double-album called I Heard That! by Quincy Jones (1976). Side 2, Track 2!
    Yeah, I still got the LPs + the Songbook!
    This is one of those albums that needs to be on CD.
    I have seen used LP copies at www.dustygroove.com

Anyway, about the tune-
    Louis Johnson plays guitar (a nice rhythm part) + a slapped bass solo where he's trades 4's with Stanley Clarke.
    Alphonso Johnson plays a fretless bass for the tune's groove
    Billy Cobham is on cans
    Hubert Laws on flute
    I'm drawing a blank on keys...George Duke?

Back around '76, my best friend's older brother's band had "Midnight Soul Patrol" in their set list. IIRC, it was pretty damn bad!

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's George Duke on keys with both Duke and Dave Grusin on synths.......It's been awhile so that album is going on the turntable NOW;)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Side 1 has some nice bassin' by Louis Johnson & Chuck Rainey.
    "What Good Is A Song"?...now that's a way to play a slow jam.

Sides 3 & 4 was full of previously released material-
    "If I Ever Lose This Heaven", "Theme From The Anderson Tapes", "Killer Joe", etc.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK, Scatman...now you have me going down memory lane.

I'm spinning Quincy Jones' Mellow Madness; I had the LP in '75 & just picked up the cd...I just had to hear Q's arrangement of "My Cherie Amour" (w/ some nice bass work by the Max Bennett of the L.A. Express & Minnie Riperton screaming her head off). Anyway, I had forgotten about the tune that follows "My Cherie Amour"-
    "Tryin' To Find Out About You"...more Louis Johnson goodness! Nice stuff by George Johnson & Harvey Mason on this track, too.

Chuck Rainey plays on 1 track, too ("Bluesette").
    You can't swing a cat without hitting a P-bass on this album.

6. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Is Jamerson on the "I heard that" album, too?

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The individual credits on my LP are a little thin for the previously released sides three and four, I think both Jamerson and Carol Kaye play bass on those sides. Carol plays guitar on some of the first two sides.;)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, Jerry...the credits for the previously released material is totally thin.
    Pretty sure it's Jamerson on Side 3's "If I Ever Lose This Heaven" (originally found on Body Heat)...Rainey is on "Theme From The Anderson Tapes" & "Summer In The City"...Ray Brown plays on some of the tracks, too.