Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a suggestion

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Spearhead, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I am applying to the music school at the University of Miami and for my taped audition I need perform 4 pieces, 3 of which need to have backing drums and guitar or piano. I also need to solo over the same three pieces. Two of them I have nailed down (opus pocus and maiden voyage), but I need a suggestion for a samba or bossa selection and also a legitiamte classical piece. I have very little experience with these two categories and thus would like something relativeley easy to pick up with a little woodshedding, but I'm really looking for something unique. Any help from you guys would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As a bossa nova fan since the early 1960s when a double bassist in a jzz band introduced me to what was for me an entirely new sound--Bossa Nova-- allow me to make these suggestions.

The GREATS of bossa nova are Joao Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Astrud Gilberto, Laurindo Almeida, Luiz Bonfa, American saxophonist Stan Getz and guitarist Charlie Byrd.

Some of the best known songs of this genre were written and performed by the above. These songs include:

Insensatez (How Insensative)
    Samba de Uma Nota So (One Note Samba)
    Corcovado (Quiet Night of Quiet Stars)
    Sambalero
    Desafinado
    Chega de Saudade (Good bye Blues)
    Bim Bon
    Samba Triste (Sad Samba)
    O Pato (The Duck)
    Agua De Beber (Water to Drink)
    So Danco Samba
    Garota de Ipanema (Girl from Ipanema)
    Manha de Carnival (Theme from "Black Orpheus")

You may be able to download these as MP3 or maybe your school library has them. They are all commonly found in jazz sections of record stores and sheet music is easily available for many of them as they are so well known. I had at one time an entire piano sheet music book of many of these tunes.

If ONE SONG could be the quintessential bossa nova, I would say it would be "Girl from Ipanema" because it is so well known, maybe even the best known of the bossa nova songs. My personal faves are "Insensatez" and "Manha de Carnival."

Good luck in your audition. Let us know how it goes and what song you chose.

3. Boplicity

A thought has occurred to me. If all the bass auditions involve a samba/bossa nova piece, I bet "Garota de Ipanema" has been played unto death. Probably "Desafinado" has been too.

You might impress your audition panel more if you played one of the excellent, but less extensively played pieces. Might I suggest "Manha de Carnival", "Corcovado" or one I didn't mention above, "Dindi"?

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    "E Preciso Muito Amor" by Chico Da Silva

I really like this tune. Very upbeat and traditional.
    I was working out an arrangement for this one
    before my band broke up. Our singer/producer is from Brasil.

Look for a CD called SAMBA BRASIL.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Do a movement from one of the Bach Cello Suites for your classical piece.

6. Thanks a lot guys. Your input has been an enormous help. I have chosen either "Agua de beber" or "manha de carnival" for my boss/samba piece. For the classical one though, Im not sure which of the movements I should do, but I think Im gonna go with either the first prelude or the sarabande. Thanks again guys.

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Matthew J. Bonelli, Lecturer (Jazz Bass), has a M.M. in jazz performance from the University of Miami. A member of the Bee Gees rhythm section since 1993, Bonelli has appeared on the Tonight Show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Royal Variety, Late Night With David Letterman, The Today Show, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and other major network productions. Bonelli has performed with such jazz and pop artists as Mose Allison, Roland Hanna, Gap Mangione, The Fifth Dimension, The Platters, The Smothers Brothers, and Robert Goulet, to name a few. He also has performed with national and international touring companies of musical theater productions, including The King and I, Sugar Babies, Purlie, A Chorus Line, and Jesus Christ Superstar. In addition to his teaching responsibilities, Bonelli is an active clinician at local, national, and international institutions and festivals.

[​IMG]

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    BTW -
    Good luck with your submission/audition.
    Go 'CANES!!!

[​IMG]

9. I still have yet to find a good transcription for manha de carnival. All Id need is the chords, but Im having a very hard time getting just that. For the prelude to the bach cello suite Ive been working on it for two days and have about two 1/3rds left. Its quite difficult, but I plan to have it done in a weeks time.
    BTW, thanks zulufunk. I have a feeling its gonna take me a lot of luck to get into such a prestigous program.

10. Boplicity

Spearhead, you may be having trouble finding sheet music to Manha de Carnival because the song is known by several names.

Try these variations to see if you can come up with sheet music:

The Soundtrack from Black Orfeus
    The Sountrack from Orfeu Negro
    The Theme from Orfeu Negro
    A Day in the Life of a Fool (English name and lyrics)
    Manha Do Carnival
    Manha De Carnival

11. Boplicity

I did a search and discovered a piano sheet music book called "Latin Jazz" which contains the Stan Getz/Paul Desmond version of "A Day in the Life of a Fool".

That will at least give you the chord changes and "jazzy" ones at that, because I had an EZ-piano version at one time that probably would not have impressed your audition team much at all. (Quite the contrary!)

The sheet music is available for $14.95 at:

http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com

Click on "Sheet Music" and type in "Latin Jazz" in the search box. I don't know how much time you have to prepare and I don't know how long it would take to receive an order from Yamaha.

12. Thanks again boplicity. Im gonna head over to my schools music library and if they dont have it there (which is likley) I will definitley purchase it.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My band has done "Agua de Beber" and I have the chord sheet somewhere - but I looked for Manha as well and couldn't find it in any books of Latin Music I have - I was really surprised as I'm sure it was classed as a Latin standard! :confused:

14. Its really hard to find and because I dont really have time to order it (I have to make my taped audition before the end of the year) I think I might just do "Agua de Beber," even though I like Manha De Carnival much better.

15. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    If you want some of the real latin, rumba , salsa and meringue styles with no catches, try some of these stuff.

Laurindo Almeida
    Trio Matamoros
    Arsenio Rodriguez
    Noro Morales
    Anibal Valasquez
    Miguelito Vadles

Good luck bro..

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you beat me to it