Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a summer reading list.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I am a tube junkie, and yet I know nothing about them. I've read the arguements about bias, voltage, wattage, blah, blah, blah. I want to know straight from the horses mouth.

What are some good books on this type of electronics for somebody who doesn't even know his way around with a soldering iron (don't laugh - it's the soldering iron of justice)? I want to know about tubes, ohms, capacitors, resistors, discombobulators, and the like. I know alot of you out there are really smart, and some of you may even be able to read. What are these tomes that have enlightened you?

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there is any one book that will do it for you.

Radio Shack used to be a good source for this kind of stuff. They may have some basic electronics introductory books available.

They used to have some project kits that had interchangeable components, so you could hook up the transistors, diodes, capacitors and resistors yourself. That is a good, hands on, simple way to learns the basic electronic language.

After that it's a basic library search for books relevant to the topics that interest you.
    After a few of those, you may have learned enough to start asking the right questions.

Fascinating field of study.

Thor

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I recently picked up a pretty cool book about Music and Physics.

Click here

It is quite dry but interesting nonetheless.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Cool book, they had it in the Providence Public library, so I ordered it for free!

Free is good.

5. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    although this isnt about electrical stuff, i picked up american basses a few days ago, and it's great :) it's a very fun read and a great reasource.