Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need a super long strap.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 9, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    help a brotha out.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    define "long"

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Or, better yet, define "super long." :D

We talking knee length here, or what?

4. Do you mean longer than your "standard" nylon strap? Personally, I use this one from Musicians Friend. 3" wide, padded, and plenty long enough for me. I don't even use it as long as it can be; I adjust some of the slack up so I'm not playing at my knees. I'm about 6'3" tall, so unless you're a giant, it should be long enough for you.

If you ARE a giant, you can always go the Peter Steele method (he's about 6'7") and get a chain cut to fit you. It's not the most comfortable strap in the world, but it looks cool. I keep a chain on one of my older basses at home, just for the Type O Negative tribute.

5. Do what I've done to accomodate my Thunderbird at acceptable playing position:

get two Fort Bryan style woven nylon straps. cut off one leather endpiece from each strap (I prefer to lop off the end opposite of the adjust buckle). Now, take the ends and melt them slightly with a lighter so they don't fray. Don't go overboard, just til the ends get a tad shiny...

Then go ahead and overlap the "melted ends" about 3", and have someone sew them together with reinforced seatbelt-style stitches. Now you have a strap that is adjustable at BOTH ends, and can get up to 10 feet long if needed. This should cost you no more than 8-9 bucks and a little effort.

:bassist:

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Heh, I like the "have someone sew them together" part. :D

I have an extra long Comfort Strapp that was too long so I shortened the end nearest the upper horn, and sewed it back up with heavy duty nylon. It's not that tough. Anyone with a heavy needle and some black nylon thread can do it in about 5 minutes.

If you want "super long" this is probably the cheapest way to go.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    hmm, the melting and sewing sounds like it would be my best bet.

thanks guys.

8. Let me expand, as that was not a sexist remark, I just don't have a sewing machine...but I DID take home-ec...

sorry to sound potentially sexist... :(

"What's wrong with being sexy?" ;)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno man, Ernie Ball makes some rediculously long straps. If I max mine out, the controls on my Stingray sit below (below!) my kneecap. I don't think you could ask for much longer.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hope you are like 12 feet tall or something and aren't one of those "it isn't rock if it isn't below the knees" types.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why? If he wants to play it below his knees, how does that affect you in any way, shape, or form?

12. Dee Eye Tee Tee Oh.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it isn't. Moron.

14. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    I read earlier on here about someone going to a tack shop and having a custom leather one made at a fairly reasonable price.

15. That was prolly me, but the nylon route is even cheaper.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

touche.

No, it doesn't affect me... but it affects him. If you need to bend over to play your bass, it really limits your musical abilites... and it usually looks really stupid. IMO

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wonder if you could make a tow rope out of straps?

18. I don't think they're NEARLY as tight woven as towstraps, I could be entirely wrong...what are you look to pull?

Or is ya just thinkin all hypothetical-like?

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Just comtemplating insane ideas running through my head. :D

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    So, as long as he's not going for the demographic that includes "Matt Till," and he's pleased with the musical abilities available to him, he's golden.