I need a tuner, and I am lost on picking one.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Jan 22, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the subjest sums it up pretty good. I have no idea what to get. It needs to be rack mountable and the cheaper the better.

I read some of the threads but none really explained why one is better over another.

Sorry Mods wasnt sure if this belonged here or in effects, and since a tuner isnt an effect I stuck it here.:D
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Odie -

I had a Sabine RT-1601 for years, and I learned something:

To use a rackmount tuner, you must turn your back on the audience. This always bugged me, plus I was never that happy with the "lag-time" between playing a note and the tuner "grabbing" it and telling me what was up. Sold the thing, bought a Boss TU-2 stomp box tuner, never been happier. It is very accurate, VERY quick, is right under my toe at all times, I don't have to turn my back on the audience, and it mutes the output when I tap it.

Just IMHO & YMMV.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Korg DTR-1 or DTR-2, you can´t go wrong on those!
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have a Korg DTR-2000 rackmount and a Boss TU-2 pedal, and I'm echoing all of what Gard said. The rack-mount is no better tuning-wise (even if the lag with this new model is almost as short as the TU-2). The pedal works much better live as you can step on it for real quick checks between songs, you can keep facing the audience, and it's a lot cheaper. The DTR I use mainly for practicing fretless at home, and the big display is great for that purpose.
  6. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    IMHO rack tuners = overrated. I sold mine.

They take up space, an outlet, weigh more, and as mentioned before, you have to turn around to see it. Also, unless you drop the big bucks on the expensive DTR you're going to have trouble seeing the note name. To mute you have to hit the button on the rack or hook up a footswitch. If you're playing through a DI box (you'll encounter soundmen who insist you play through one) you can't mute the house sound while tuning up.

I also vote for the TU2 pedal. I'm going to pick one up myself when the cash flow picks up. For now I picked up a $17 Korg handheld that totally rocks for what it is.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok one more question.

Does the Boss-TU2 suck the tone like some stomp pedals do. Also we tune a half step down, will this be a factor?

If it doesnt, you guys sold me!!

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    No tone suckage, and it's both automatic/chromatic, and has a calibration function - you could either just know to tune to the flat notes, or calibrate it to tune to those notes even if it says they're the natural ones.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok Gard Im there!! Way off topic but whats your feeling on Power conditioners(Furman etc). Just looking for something that might eliminate some background noise you get when playing in some places. I currently just use $15 surge protector.

Oh by the way Gard you rock buddy, thanx for all the help!!
  10. i agree with gard, absolutely no tone alteration, and i can hear differences in different cables, even. it has flat and double-flat settings too.
  11. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey there,

I just bought a DTR-2000 because I heard very good things about them. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but in the manual it says not to install it on top of something that produces heat, such as amplifiers. Now, I might just be naive, but isn't the idea behind rackmount tuners to mount them in racks above amps?? I don't much like the idea of getting a second rack just to mount the tuner when I have just enough space above my ampeg in my current rack. Have any of you with rackmount tuners ever had a problem with this or is it just common knowledge that I wasn't aware of yet?

12. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Another vote for the TU-2. Easy to use, works great even on the low B.

13. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    TU-2, it's not lacking in any way, I love it.
  14. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Welp, I'm sold on the TU-2, I may get one this weekend.
  15. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    They're definitely great little boxes. If you have other pedals, you can power most (if not all) of them with the TU-2 as well. I don't have the part # handy, but there's a power supply connector that allows you to run power from the TU-2 to several other pedals. That way you can power several boxes while utilizing just one wall wart.
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

seamus- thanx for the heads up on that!! Wow, I didnt know that. Gard and others sold me on the idea of getting one, so next week I plan on ordering one.

Thanx all!!!