I need a tuner: any ideas...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiL BaSS DuDe, May 15, 2001.

1. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Hey guys... I'm just new to bass playing, and these forums.
    I don't have much experience, but I'm getting long fine and having fun - except for one thing - TUNING!

Right now I have a Quik Tune, and its a heap of...

So I need some advice, what is a good electronic tuner?

There's another problem, I don't even much money at all, and my budget will be around £10-£30 ($12-$38). And I guess, you never know your parents, my mum (mom) and dad even pay a little! :D

I'll be willing to spend a bit over this, so please, please give me some suggestions..!!!

And I know the best way to tune my Bass is by ear, but I need to get the strings in tune before I can try that, don't I? :)
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Dude, welcome to TalkBass.

Tuning by ear only works if you have perfect pitch, or at least if you have a tuning fork or something that will gives you a reference pitch to tune to.

I'd recomment the Intellitouch tuner, but I think it's out of your price range. Korg makes a pretty good tuner that's not very expensive. I'd look into those.

Will C.:cool:
  3. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Yah, my friend has a Korg - it tuned my bass OK when he gave me a go...
    But it wasn't perfect - was still a bit off :(

But nothing's perfect.
    I need something that can get it as close as 100% right.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Look for a used Boss tuner? They might be ok. Actually, you could get a tuning fork pretty cheap, good way to train the ear too., but lousy for a club.
  5. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i have a little blue Fender tuner that you can either plug into or let it pick up sound. works great!!! about $35.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Whatever tuner you buy, look for these traits. Make sure it is a BASS tuner, not a guitar tuner. It is best if it is chromatic...tuning to every note in the chromatic scale, including sharps and flats.

As a beginner you may be just tuning to EADG now, but you may need to tune down flat one day or you may play a five or six-string one day.

Some tuners have little mics, so you can tune without having a cable hooked up to the tuner.

I have had excellent luck with Korg tuners. I have two that are ten years old. Just be sure to turn off your tuner when you aren't using it or the battery will run down.

There are some interesting "hybrid" tuners that also have metronomes included. I have a Sony that has both features, a tuner and a metronome. There are also tuners that will give you an audible A, so you can tune by ear.

Check Musician's Friend, Interstate Music or AMS.com for prices on different kinds of tuners and tuner/metronomes.