1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i need a vintage aesthetic with modern sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashcomics, Oct 7, 2010.

1. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    im buying a fender bassman 135 tonight(the mesa d-180 i was looking at fell through) and would love to have a 212 cab to match it. its black tolex, black contol plate and classic fender style silver grill cloth. who makes a 212 cab in black tolex and fender style grill cloth?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    low down sound in detroit. also, aguilar's db series looks pretty similar, although i can't remember if they make a 212 or not.

3. avatar i think

4. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    yeah, ive seen the avatar and the aguilar, anyone else make one?

5. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    i just emailed lds about a 4x12 bass cab to match the blackface bassman 135. what do lds cabs usually run?

6. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    They cost time, i.e. wait time but the price is more than reasonable.

7. Lowdown Sound +1

Don can give you vintage all day any way you want it.

8. Having owned a Bassman 135 I can honestly say it souded best with the Bassman 215... JBL D140s made that thing more than awesome. If you can't find or don't want to wait for something like that I'd probably recommend the biggest, lowest wattage cab you can find.

The joy of the Bassman 215 was that you'd sometimes get speaker fart right at the same time you'd get tube od and you'd cop the 70s Larry Graham tone to a T! haha! If that's something you don't want then I dunno. I played the 135 with the 215, my Ampeg 810, and my Schroeder 215 and I can honestly say it sounded best with the Bassman 215 and second best with the 810. It's a really cool head and I hope you enjoy it.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And as I just mentioned in the other Bassman 135 thread, I ran one through a Rhodes suitcase cab. But mine was modded for guitar at the time.

10. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Aguilar db212 all the way!!!

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

As a side note OP, I don't believe your Rickenbacker ad is allowed under forum rules.

12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Order a Barefaced Super Twelve in vintage style.

13. thrashcomics

thrashcomics

Aug 12, 2010
    I called don at lds today. looks like ill be ordering a marshall(but deeper) sized 412 to match my bassman as soon as funds allow.

Bassmanpaul, i see people with for sale, trade and looking fir ads in their sug all the time.

14. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Indeed you do, but they're only allowed for supporting members. It's all right, no one's gonna crucify you for it, but the mods will probably make you change it.

and PS, enjoy that LDS! My 610 is gorgeous, if only it weren't such a beast to schlep... but i didn't wanna spring for neo drivers. Live and learn, but hey, it's still a killer cab.

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    should follow the trend in the camera industry...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

Funky, old looking exterior...modern guts. Brilliant. Toyota reissued their first car a few years back, a 1935 sedan, with all modern Lexus running gear....

I'd buy a new Ampeg B15S, if it had the guts of my Bergantino 112IP and a NICE tube preamp, and didn't weigh 135 lbs...

As to that thing they reissued, that was a fad for about 12 minutes....no thanks.

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. +1 on the Aguilar DB cabs.... nice 'vintage meets modern' tone with vintage looks (and unfortunately vintage weight).

Low Down Sound (LDS) does the 'vintage look/modern tone' thing wonderfully. The website is pretty out of date, but peruse the mega thread... some amazing stuff there... old school Fender or Ampeg vibe, with the current state of the art neo drivers, great crossovers and top of the line mid drivers and/or tweeters. Nice stuff.

17. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I can personally vouch for the looks of my 610... it's stunning. I went with black tolex, two bar-type handles on the side, one up top to use with the tilt-back casters, and a '70s Fender turquoise-and-silver grillcloth, which looks amazing. If I had to do it all over I'd consider requesting heavier-duty tilt back casters (one of mine was broken during shipping, i still get nervous the replacement is gonna fall apart under the weight of this cab someday) and possibly go for a bed-liner type of cab coating instead of the tolex. It wouldn't look quite as vintage up close, but you wouldn't have to worry about protecting the tolex, and it still looks far better than rat fur. My tolex has held up very well, but it's got a couple tears and scuffs from tour.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021