Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a weird allen wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by flury, Jun 2, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    I have a 96 J bass and the truss rod is accessed at the end of the neck and theres a cut out in the pickguard but the wholes not big enough for your average sized allen wrench. Were can I get the correct size and with a short length to fit in the hole?

2. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    American J basses use a long T - handled allen wrench to adjust the truss rod. If you purchased your bass new, the wrench should have come with the bass.

dee

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    sears.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Does that mean you can adjust the truss rod with that tool without removing the neck?

5. Yes, that's why they are used. I'm sure you could order one from Fender, Stewart MacDonald (www.stewmac.com) or maybe find one at Sears as somebody else suggested.

6. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    What you want is a "ball end" allen wrench. This allows you to get in there at an angle. The brand most people know of for this is Bondhus (sp?), theough other companies do make them. You might check at Sears.