1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need a weird allen wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by flury, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. flury


    May 21, 2004
    I have a 96 J bass and the truss rod is accessed at the end of the neck and theres a cut out in the pickguard but the wholes not big enough for your average sized allen wrench. Were can I get the correct size and with a short length to fit in the hole?
  2. dee rob

    dee rob

    Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    American J basses use a long T - handled allen wrench to adjust the truss rod. If you purchased your bass new, the wrench should have come with the bass.

  3. adam on bass

    adam on bass Supporting Member

    Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  4. cb56


    Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Does that mean you can adjust the truss rod with that tool without removing the neck?
  5. Yes, that's why they are used. I'm sure you could order one from Fender, Stewart MacDonald (www.stewmac.com) or maybe find one at Sears as somebody else suggested.
  6. Fishface


    Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    What you want is a "ball end" allen wrench. This allows you to get in there at an angle. The brand most people know of for this is Bondhus (sp?), theough other companies do make them. You might check at Sears.