Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need advice about my $49 Douglas Bass: What should I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 12, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    It's a Fender P Bass knock off made in China. The tone is great and it feels solid and I have no complaints. Now here's the problem.

I have some seymore duncan p bass pickups that was never opened out the package and I'm pondering whether to install them or not.

It's either:

1) If it aint broke don't fix it, save the seymore duncan pick ups

or

2) Instal them. You may think the tone sounds good already, but once you put in the new pickups, you will see a vast improvement

or

3) Save the pickups for another bass (I haven't decided on getting a SX P Bass with flatwound strings or a SX jazz bass with nickel strings yet)

I know if I get a jazz I can't use the P Bass pick ups so I'd just save them.....

What should I do? I need help....:help:

2. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Help?

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    What the heck, give 'em a try. It don't cost nuttin...

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Put them in. They're bound to be better than the ones in there...and then if you don't like them, it's just a couple of wires to connect if you want to switche them back. Its one of the least invasive changes you can make in a bass.

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Hmmmmm.....okay.......I'm thinking about.....

6. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    +1

Don't cut the leads though. just let there be a bunch of slack inside the control cavity. That way if you don't like them there's REALLY nothing lost. not even wire.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you think your Douglas sounds fine the way it is? I'm an 'if it aint broke, don't fix it kind of guys'

8. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've "fixed" a lot of unbroken stuff, and i almost always regret it.

I's an easy thing to try and to reverse, but I don't think there's any garauntee the duncans will sound better

9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Well, I can't say either way. But if you decide to try out the other pup, then make sure it fits in your opening before you do anything else. All P pups look the same, but some of the copies have slightly larger or smaller openings.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Leave it alone.

11. If you take the pickguard off an SX Jazz you will find a large opening for the neck pickup. I'd estimate that there is plenty of room for a P pickup if you wanted to make the SX into a P-J configuration.

Rick B.

Attached Files:

12. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    That's what my mom said. Mom knows best. Thanks for your replies though....