I need advice for a mid-range bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Althius, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    Forgive me if this all seems Sooooo very n00bish....

I need some advice on a good mid-level bass for myself. Usually when people ask for advice, the answer is, "well, it really all depends on your needs, and playing style..."

So, give me 2 mintues and I'll give you a little background.

I have been playing Bass for 10+ some-odd years. I started playing Upright in 8th grade, because, well there was no one else to do it.

I bought a 4 string Fender JP-90 in 1991 so I could play in jazz band in high-school, but most of my time was spent with Upright. I never owned my own UB, and I played in Orchestra through college.

So anyway my ol' JP-90 has seen its last days, I keep taking it to be repaired, and it keeps breaking 6 months down the road. I want to get a new bass, but I have NO FREAKIN' idea where to start.

I went to the local music shop and played around, but it was just so overwhelming. I really liked the Parker Fly Bass (but noone here seems to :eek: ), mostly because it felt 'similar' to what I was used to in an upright as far as fret spacing goes, and I liked its 'accoustic' sound. Can someone give me a few models that might fit my needs/price range?

I play mostly in church and for fun in small bands, so no insane thumpin or slaping will be neccessary. Frets, no frets, I don't care... I just want a good solid 4 string bass that will last me to the end of my days.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$1,000 to spend on it. Last year I bought a Behringer BX600, and that will probably be the amp I use for a long time to come.

Thanks for listening...
  2. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i'd say get an SX and use the rest of the dough on a killer amp :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

but to answer your question...i dunno, i think everyone is going to say spector :bassist:
  3. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Get a used roscoe - great value for money :D You even have the option of getting a Sadowsky Metro! There's real value to be found there as well imho :)
  4. Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
    G&L Tribute L-2000

5. Reverend Rumblefish. Best playing and sounding bass under $1,000. And, it'll fit right in at church, too. :D
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Used Ric or used Thumb BO/NT Those things are mid machines.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Around the $500 mark id say a Godin SD by far. Greatest bass for the price you will find. Theres one on ebay right now for a good price.
    For the higher end, theres the Warwick Thumb. Bolt on or neck thru, but the bolt-on is the better value IMO. The neckthru costs a lot more (especiallly new) but used its more reasonable.
  8. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I second the Reverend.
  9. We have a winner.
  10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
  11. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    1. Spector ReBop-Killer tone IMHO
    2. Geddy Lee- the neck is like butter, and the tone is sweet as well.
    3. Used Warwick, if you can stand the submarine neck...
  12. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i really dig my carvin 6, but the electronics are crappy. sounds good and plays well though
  13. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys. The Reverend and the Geddy Lee certainly seem to be the consensus.

I live in STL, and I don't know if I can find a Reverend to test out, since I've never played one before. There is an authorized dealer in KC, about 4 hours away.

Is it worth the drive?

Also, any recommendations between the Rumblefish and the Rumblefish PJ?

Also, what might one expect to pay for a used Warwick 4-String Thumb?

So I guess its down to a Rev Rumble, Geddy Lee, or used Thumb.

Thanks again.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used Warwick thumb bolt-on, anywhere from $700 to $1000, depending where you buy it from.
    Neck thru would be about $1300-$1600.
  15. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well Reverend does offer a 14 day trail period, so maybe it isn't worth the drive. Then again, they have this thing where they won't sell to people who have dealers close by, and maybe the trail only applies when you buy a bass direct.
  16. Althius

Jul 25, 2004
    Well I'm driving to the KC tomorrow to check out the Rumblefish... I've had no luck trying to find a Geddy Lee or L-2000 in town.

Given the way everyone talks about the Reverend, I think there is a good chance I may be coming home with one!

There is a Warwick Thumb used I'm looking at too... so it probably will come down to price.

Thanks for all the advice.
  17. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Shell out some cash and get a Valenti. Not too expensive and apparently good.

Edit: I know this thread is for mid-range basses, which this isn't.
  18. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    For under a grand, go out and get an American Jazz bass. My story is similar to yours, only I found heavy metal after high school. The Jazz bass fits like a glove, and in my humble opinion has the best tone in the world, there is no other bass I need for any genre.