I need advice for buying a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by onewaynick, Jan 26, 2004.

1. onewaynick

Jan 26, 2004
    I have been looking for months for a bass to suit my needs. I am a middle level bass player with 3 years experience. I have been playing the same ibanez bass since i started (not that there is anything wrong with that) and i would like to buy a new bass. I am into punk,rock, and more experimental types of music. I am looking for a bass with a really full sounding high end punch but good action at the same time those are my two main complaints with my current bass. I am in the 200-400ish dollar range. If you have any advice it would be greatly apreaciated.
  2. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    IF you like the sound I'd try a Fender Mark Hoppus Bass. It doesn't have but one tone, but its an awesome tone. You should be able to get them pretty cheap, GC is discontinuing them.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can find one used, try a Godin Freeway. Nice action, great neck, many tones, great high end.
  4. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    He speaks the truth! My Freeway5's neck feels awsome, and has a great sound
  5. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Zzounds.com has some nice ESP basses that would fit your need of tone. They have some great basses between 200-400 dollars. I'm picking up a F-205 bass. You might like the B Series basses. Check em out.

Good Luck!
  6. RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    ESP and Schecter are really good basses. I have an online frined who is a really really really really really to the infinith power good bass player. He has a USA ESP nad it is good. I like Fenders myself. But go for the squires more. I also am buying the new b something ESP came out with.
  7. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    You might want to check out some of the lower end Spectors. The lower end ones I played were very, very good for the price. The Rockbass by Warwick is good for the pricerange also. MIM Fenders and other Ibanez basses are definately worth looking into.

My best advice to you is go to your local music stores and try out everything.:bassist:
  8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    for this one particularly I felt that I should mention lightwave. they are being blown on ebay.
  9. I will go ahead and second the ESP. Great construction, fast smooth action. Give 'em a shot.
  10. I am a fender man too by the way. I own a MIA Jazz and a MIM P. I love them both, but it is nice to have something else at hand. My B204 has EMG-Hz pups in it, and I love it. Great for slap or fingerstyle, and the features are great, 24 frets, bass/treble/mid-cut/boost, great hardware. The thing just has an overall solid feel to it. I bought it used off of a friend of mine, and am not entirely sure how old it is, but the thing just feels like it could last forever. I dont know if I put it over my J-bass, but I have to admit, I play it quite a bit.
  11. My friend,

Here is some advice: Basses in that price range (most of them, anyway) I have checked out do not have what your looking for, and here's why. Basses for around $200-$400 are mass produced and they don't use the highest grade materials, not to mention that fret work is not up to par with more pricey basses, what that equals to is shoddy playability. Sometimes electronics is another area where companies cut corners to get that lower price. To make a cheap bass play better or sound better you gotta bring it in to a repair person to have it hotrodded, A.K.A.: hipper pickups, fixing high fretts(common for cheap basses), sometimes hardware is crud(I have a mexi-Fender that had a tuner post break while I was tuning up and came to find out it was made of peuter). Peavey so far is the only company I know of that makes DECENT(not perfect) basses in the price range your looking for; Yamahas aren't to bad and neither are the Ernie Ball S.U.B.(Sport Utility Bass). I would strongly recommend that you save your money and get something you won't regret owning, like I have in the past. Sincerely, good luck.:bassist:

12. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    IMO this is the best way to go. Instead of buying a bass that is mediocre at best, wait a little and save up some more cash. Then you will be able to get something that flat out good.

If you've had that Ibanez for 3 years, then a few more months shouldn't kill ya.:bassist:
  13. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    still I think those blownpriced lightwaves are better bought now than later.
  14. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    True. If you find a killer deal on a good bass at a store or on e-bay then get it if you like it.

But if you're thinking about buying a new $400 bass to replace your $200 bass, then I would definately wait.
  15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  16. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you could spend about 200 more the MTD Heir and Kingston now come with an active option. Those are killer basses.
  17. the MTD kingston and Heir are great basses. I think there is an Ibanez SRX bass in that price range which I enjoy. and Schector and Spector make some pretty cool basses in there as well.

my main recomendation is when buying a "mass produced bass" just make sure to play it before you buy it, unless you are buying it from a place that has an approval period or good return policy. there are plenty of great ones out there and there are many that have flaws in them too. it is just a quality control thing.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^ yea the Ibanez SRX 400 is quite nice.
  19. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    In the true PUNK tradition, a pawn shop prize might be the ticket, especially one that has been used and abused the right way. Find a unique bass with charachter. If it plays decent in the pawn shop or local mom and pop music center trade in, and if it has a certain tone or vibe about it unplugged, chances are it will sound good through an amp. Of course you cant go wrong with a Fender P or J bass, but old namebrands that no one knows about, with funky pickups and too many switches are the real finds. By the way, the new OLP Spector copies are great basses with EMG pickups and a good neck. They are built solid and usually have been painted with conductive shielding paint in the cavities for noise free enjoyment. Good luck.