1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need advice from you guys...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odarellmc, Mar 29, 2013.

1. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    Bought a great looking l2500 tribute off of ebay for 450.00, BUT the pre amp seems to be blown (which he didn't say in the description), is it worth fixing or should I tell the seller to give me my money back?

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    If you want it badly enough, guess you will have to fix it.
    Although i would call upon him to man up and pay for it.
    If its not something you want that desperately, id say ask for a refund and if he declines take it up with paypal.

3. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    yeah i'm sure its the preamp, when I switch it on I get a muffled sound with the bass full on, he did offer to pay for repair...passive mode however is great, any one here has had to repair a preamp?

4. I replaced the preamp on my L2K but I knew mine was shot when I made the deal. Don't expect any help from G & L. I'd get the money back from the seller.

5. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    if the seller has offered to pay for the repair, take him up on it. dead easy answer.

6. Qualified repair people are readily available but getting parts from G & L is virtually impossible. G & L drives my tech (an authorized G & L dealer) crazy because of their unresponsiveness. That's why I recommended getting the money back from the seller.

7. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    yeah if getting parts from g&l is an issue, then i'm more inclined to just return it, it's strange the g&l has a good rep, but their support sucks. well from what you just told me...

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I have to ask, did you check the battery?

9. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    Yep put a new one in when i got it, been doing some research, and it may be the opamp, i think i spelled it righy supposedly its just a chip.i pop in, i want to explore some repair options before return because i got a good deal on it, and it was well.cared.for, but.ill.have to make a decision.quickly...

10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I would just yank it and go passive! I've owned a number of L2xxx basses and you have a lot of room in there for some crazy passive switching options. The last one I owned had a series/single/parallel switch for each pickup and the volume pot was push/pull for switching between standard series and "single-coil with bass boost mode". If you're interested in doing this I've attached the diagram I made up for these options. If I did it again I would use a 500k push/push pot instead of the push/pull one I used before.

Attached Files:

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Strong +1

Especially if you like the bass.

12. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks FSB, something to consider for sure!

13. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's the same thing.

15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA

Attached Files:

16. This is probably the way to go.

17. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    you are the man FSB, thanks a whole bunch, i love TB'ers, great bunch of guys all around. you think this is something I could do myself?

18. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    Question, I read in another post here on TB that if the opamp was bad, the passive mode wouldn't work either, any thoughts on this just in case i don't when the bid on ebay?

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You could totally wire it in yourself. You just need to look in the wiring diagram for where the wires from the preamp connect to stuff.

I usually tin the ends of bare wires, slide a small length of shrink wrap tubing over one of them, bend the ends over so they can hook together, hook and crimp them together, and then solder them together. Works for a good wire splice.

I should check, though - the problem you're having only happens when the preamp switch is in the middle or up position, right? Not when it's in passive mode?