i need advice on choosing a bigger cab and amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sbskates, Dec 26, 2004.

1. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    i have a gk1001 rb rated at 540 watts. i want more sound i wanna hear me better and others on stage and practice hear me ,,,so whats the best formula here more cabinets ?????,, it seems to me more speakers will make me more audible than pumping more watts in a single cab.
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    What are you using for a cab now? How about upgrading to the 1001RB-II first then your speakers.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    your amp is fine. what are you using for cabinets now? adding another speaker to your setup will give you an appreciabel increase in volume.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    more watts into a single will give you a little more... but it really just helps in clarity (headroom). adding another cab will give you better results. I use to put a cab on each side of the drummer so i could hear myself all over the stage (untill I got my current rig at least).

also, if you are scooping the mids you won't cut through and be heard. Bump the mids up a bit in your current set up and see if that helps. It might not sound good alone, but you should be able to raise it enough to cut & but still sound like yourself.
  5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    checking out the specs of the gk 1001 i found that the main amp in it is rated 700W@4ohm, 460W@8ohm. (Personally i ignore the 50 watt @ 8 ohm amp section for highs in these amps). If the speaker you are using now is an 8 ohm cabinet you can add another 8 ohm cabinet and gain 240 watts, and increased speaker area. Like james said, using mids can help a lot too. So what cabinet are you using and what are you condidering adding to it?
  6. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    thanks for the help,, i am currently using a basson 210 that is 34" high
    with a big port and the 4 ohms 40hz to 18khz 100 db. basson sound is very very sweet .

it sounds like a wall of thunder in my small venues etc and with my band i am in that plays mod/classic rock.

for a 210 it is very very low that is bassons big thing. but it sorta peaks out volume wise. i have used 410's and 215 in the past with a 700rb in the past it was cool. it just seems to me more speakers is like a choir vs one voice. with this basson it is 4 ohm and the gk 1001 i have is rated for 2 @8ohm or 1 cab @ 4 ohm. so i have thought about
    buying some eminence 15's or 4 10's and putting them in some empty cabs.i have heard so many different things from shop owners such as dont underpower a cab dont overpowre it.

but when i look at thegk and swr stacks the watts putting out by the heads is sometimes less than the stack is rated at.

so with that in mind if i got a 810 rated at 800-1000 watts cani get good sound with a 540 watt ahead?

what would be the bets setup 115 and 410 810 215 ????
    if i keep my 540 watt gk ,i do like it.

head room i s cool but paying for watts you will never use is a waste to me.
  7. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Sell the 2x10 and get one in 8 ohms. Then get another cab to compliment it, 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 2x12.
  8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, get rid of the 4 ohm 210, and get a couple of 8 ohm cabinets. increasing the # of speakers you are using will increase your volume quite a bit. you could get an 8 ohm 4x10 and an 8 ohm 2x10. Don't worry about underpowering the cabinets. that's not an issue. clipping the amp (turning it up to the point where it distorts) is depending upon the power rating of the cabinets.
    i don't know where you're getting the 540 watts from. the website i went to said the 1001 was rated 700W@4ohm, 460W@8ohm.
  9. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    thanks, yes i have an older 700 rb its 540 they update dthem last year to 700 .

i think ill go the 410 115 route i always liked 15's .

but waht if my cab is rate dat 800 watts an di only have

guess i nee dto keep the power highre tahn the cab demand sto be safe right?
  10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the cabinet is rated at 800 watts meaning it can handle up to 800 watts. 540 watts will be fine.
  11. I would get a really efficient, multiple driver 4 ohm cab. For example, a shroeder 21210 with a 104 db rating. I also dig that ampeg PR410HLF.

E A cabs are really efficient to. THey are the only ones who sell transmission line enclosures. The bose wave radio sounds good because one of the 3" drivers uses a transmission line from a molded plastic enclosure. Now imagine what 4 10s would sound like. . .

You can always go the powered subwoofer route, too. Warwick and Ashdown make nice ones that match their cabs.

But Yorkville powered subs are very cost-effective.
    Here is the entry level. I once hooked it up to an swr rig in the store and tweaked with the levels. Nice way to add bottom. I even used the x-over so the remainder of the rig did not have to worry about playing the lows. It is a poor man's way of biamping. Just a thought.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Basson's sound very deep and are pretty loud but in my opinion but they don't have a lot of cut or definition to them. You can try adding more mids from your EQ, but I'd go for more cabinets. That will give you more versatility and volume.
  13. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!
  14. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    In case this was not cleared up, if your amp is a GK1001rb-I it is rated 540w @ 4 ohms, the newer GK1001rb-II is rated 700w @4 ohms. I use 8 ohm, SWR Goliath III (4x10) & SOB (1x15) cabs in combo with my 1001-rbI head and I really like the volume I get from this setup. ( :crying: Still waiting for my Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II to return from repair shop, now that really makes my 2 cabs dance for me :hyper: )
  15. boggess

Apr 9, 2007
    I have a gk 1001 II and an amped 410 (500 W rms) and an ampeg 115 (200 W rms)
    if i send in the signal into the 410 then out into the 115, would i be damaging the 115 only if I was maxing out my power output?
    basically, is the 750W from the head divided by two = 325W going to hurt my 115?
  16. musicmedic

Mar 24, 2007
    You won't necessarily hurt the 15, just remember to use some good judgement and be careful not to clip the amp. Amps can put out WAAAAAAY more than their rated power in clipping. Going by the rated power handling on a cab is an iffy situation at best.