Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need advice on removing a fingerboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jun 29, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I built a neck. Multi laminated Cherry, Wenge and Mahogany, set the truss rod in and put a Bubinga fingerboard on it. Then I started doing the back radius, I am building this for a woman and I was trying to make it thin. Yup I went too far with it and broke through the back into the truss rod slot. s the neck is trash. I would like to save the fingerboard if possible. I used regular tightbond to glue the FB on with. How can I remove it? Thanks ............tom

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You need to heat up the fingerboard with a clothes iron and slide or peel it off. It's hard to get them off in useable condition as they like to bend and stay heat-bent if you bend too hard pulling it off.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I was afraid of that. I guess I will just plane the fingerboard off to save the truss rod.......T

4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    If the neck is really junk, you could just chisel it away until you can get the truss rod out the back, then carefully re-saw the fingerboard free from the neck wood on a bandsaw and clean it up.

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd go ahead and take the fingerboard off like Matt described. You'll have to do it someday so why not practice? I've had good luck heating and rebending fretboards in the other direction and having them come out flat enough to reuse.

6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like Timmy's advie.

Just junk the neck and get it close enough so that you can just sand or scrape away whats left of the neck.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks all. I took the easy way out. I had some pent up anger and I took it out on the back of the neck and chiseled out the truss rod then I used my new Dewalt planer and planed the neck off of the fingerboard. I then used the fingerboard as a template to route out the shape of the new neck........t