1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need advice on using compressors before and after my preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IvanMike, Nov 11, 2002.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's the deal
    i am putting together a rack system and would like to use some subtle compression before my di and preamp
    i would also like to have some kind of peakstop limiting after the preamp as i am using an alembic superfilter which can levitate the dog and dont want to hurt my speakers or the audience
    a big concern is transparency as i dont want the units to color my sound (too much)
    i am not hung up on rackmount so i will also consider boxes...........
    i was kinda thinking of using a two channel unit like a dbx 266xl or 166xl, having channel unit set up for mild compression before the preamp and the other receiving a signal from the preamp set to do some severe limiting if need be
    anyone have experience with this kind of setup?
    any brand preferences or dislikes?
    thanks

2. Alway put a rack-mount compressor after the preamp.

I've had the best results by using the 1/4" I/O's after the preamp.

Use XLR I/O's between the DI Out and the Board.

You can either have separate channels for each one, or what I do is:

Use both channels together. Link Channel One's Output to Channel Two's Input. Both 1/4" and XLR's.

Effects loop in the 1/4" jacks.
    DI through the XLR's.

Set Channel One for light musical compression and sustain (2:1 to 4:1). Threshold at -6. Bump the output for a little extra boost.

Set Channel Two for heavy limiting compression (6:1 to 10:1) to tame clipping with a threshold of 0 to +6. Bump the Output for a little more boost.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks for the input.....
    one question
    how can i run the di and pre outs tru the compressors at the same time without causing a feedback loop or interference?

4. Go ahead and just use one side for the DI and the other for the Pre > Amp.

Then there's no worries.