Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need advice on using compressors before and after my preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IvanMike, Nov 11, 2002.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's the deal
    i am putting together a rack system and would like to use some subtle compression before my di and preamp
    i would also like to have some kind of peakstop limiting after the preamp as i am using an alembic superfilter which can levitate the dog and dont want to hurt my speakers or the audience
    a big concern is transparency as i dont want the units to color my sound (too much)
    i am not hung up on rackmount so i will also consider boxes...........
    i was kinda thinking of using a two channel unit like a dbx 266xl or 166xl, having channel unit set up for mild compression before the preamp and the other receiving a signal from the preamp set to do some severe limiting if need be
    anyone have experience with this kind of setup?
    any brand preferences or dislikes?
    thanks

2. Alway put a rack-mount compressor after the preamp.

I've had the best results by using the 1/4" I/O's after the preamp.

Use XLR I/O's between the DI Out and the Board.

You can either have separate channels for each one, or what I do is:

Use both channels together. Link Channel One's Output to Channel Two's Input. Both 1/4" and XLR's.

Effects loop in the 1/4" jacks.
    DI through the XLR's.

Set Channel One for light musical compression and sustain (2:1 to 4:1). Threshold at -6. Bump the output for a little extra boost.

Set Channel Two for heavy limiting compression (6:1 to 10:1) to tame clipping with a threshold of 0 to +6. Bump the Output for a little more boost.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks for the input.....
    one question
    how can i run the di and pre outs tru the compressors at the same time without causing a feedback loop or interference?

4. Go ahead and just use one side for the DI and the other for the Pre > Amp.

Then there's no worries.