i need advice, you guys are the only ones i trust

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mikewho, Mar 6, 2005.

1. i play a schecter omen 5 string and i want to get some (active) bartolinis for it, though i don't know which ones to get (mostly cause of size/which are most compatible with my bass). any suggestions?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Bart doesn't make many active pups but they have descriptions and dimensions of their pups at Bartolini.net. EMG is the place most active players call home. EMGINC.net or .com(I think).
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY

As lunkfur said, there aren't many active barts. The only ones I can think of are their active J's, or the made in korea MK-1 pickups (I think they're active) which are a custom size which doesn't fit any other pickups I know of. EMG and Seymour Duncan make active soapbars.
    Measure your existing pickups and then match them up with the available models at http://www.bartolini.net, http://www.emgpickups.com, http://www.basslines.com
    As to whether they're compatible with your bass, there's a few issues there.
    If you currently have active pickups, and get different active pickups, you should have no problems.
    If you currently have passive pickups, and get active pickups (or vice versa), then some work will be required as you'll need pots compatible with the new pickups. Unless you have a preamp circuit that can take any impedance signal. I can't help you with that without a picture and/or description of the wiring in the cavity (photo is much better)
  4. all right, thanks. that's what i thought from their site (says something like bartolinis are passive designs...) but i've played some basses with active barts in them, so i wasn't sure. thanks again!
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

There's considerable misunderstanding that any bass with a battery has active pickups when in actuality usually it's passive pups and an onboard preamp - which is a much more versatile package. The wiring options (and therefore tonal options) for active pickups is very restrictive.

If there's not a battery wired directly to the pickups (3 leads), they're not active pups.
  6. i measured them and they seem to be 10mm wide. i imagine that's the right size for a pickup that covers "68mm to 78mm on medium curvature fingerboards"?
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Don't follow that at all. 10mm is only about 3/8". Typical Jazz pup is 11/16" wide by roughly 3 9/16" (shorts) and 3 11/16" (longs). 3 mm is about an 1/8" (2/16) or 1" about 25mm.

Barts are among the best balanced pups around and radius wouldn't likely be a problem except in something extreme - like in basses that have a radius to the stock pup face, ie. old PV Foundations. Typically a pup is at least an inch longer than the distance from outside string to outside string. If the pup is too narrow the volumes of the perimeter strings will be diminished because they're not within the meat of the magnetic field. Too long a pup won't matter except in fit to the route.
  8. all right, thanks again. sorry for my lack of knowledge, heh.
  9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    EMG's- FWIW I love'em.

Anyways, what was said is correct- you can get some passive Barts and then couple them with an active pre-amo (like a J-Retro).