Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I NEED ADVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've been playing bass for about 9 years. I've been playing on a 4 string Ernie Ball for most of that time.

I am about to buy a fender american jazz bass.

I am trying to decide between a 4 or 5 string. i don't really see a need for a 5 but part of me really likes that low b (i'm a big fan of the low low octaves). i finally have the money saved up and i can't make a decision.

anyone have some advice for me?????

also i was thinking about getting a rosewood neck. my music man in maple. i hear rosewood has a softer tone while maple in more midtonish. i'm looking for a more "natural" tone.

anyone have advice?????

i need help

2. Go for it,

I have been playing nothing but five strings for about five years and there the only thing I play now. I have nothing to complain about at all. The two octave range is wonderful to work with and the neck isn't to overly broad.

-Anthony

3. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I would recommend a MIA jazz 4-string 1000% ....They're a great sturdy and versatile axe that you can beat the crap out of, and they will still come back for more.

However ...IMO the jazz 5's are awful. The B sounds weak and cheap, and they dont seem to have that classic jazz tone that we all love(most of us anyway) - Having said that though, im sure there are a few nice jazz 5's floating around, but they seem to be few and far between.

If you're keen on a 5, i would recommend that you buy something else. But if you want a 4, you need the fender;)

4. If you want to go the 5-string Fender road, I suggest you get the Roscoe Beck Signature bass. Much better than the Jazz V.

If you want a 4 though, go Jazz Bass! :bassist:

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    B_B,

If you make the decision to go with a five, I highly recommend you check a bunch of 5's out before you go with a Fender MIA 5. IMO, you can do far better for the money. Fender MIA 5's go for about $1200. A great 5 for a bit less ($1100) is the Lakland Skyline 55-02. Do a search for the raves on this bass. With the 55-02 you won't need to give up that Music Man tone either. The $700 55-01 blows away the MIA Fender 5 too, IMO.

As for the maple/rosewood board question. Maple boards tend to sound a bit brighter and feel a bit harder than rosewood boards, but to be quite honest, you can adjust your eq on either type board to get whatever tones you're looking for. It's a subltle "feel" thing, and you should decide for yourself by trying both types. Most people can't tell the difference when listening "blind", especially "in the mix".

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm a bit of a Stingray player myself. If I were going to go for a fiver....no, wait! I did! I did go fiver!

Why not a STingray 5?

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    this is some good advice, keep it coming

i want the fender jazz bass sound above all else. i assume the 4 and 5 will both have that sound. if i want the fender jazz bass sound would you still recomend another guitar? my bass right now is active and kinda hot rodish. i'm looking for a more traditional tone. i assume i can get this with a fender 4 or 5??/

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    slot,

you recomend a fender 4 over a fender 5. do they sound different. like i said above i want a fender jazz bass for the sound. i just assumed a five would sound the same as the 4.

9. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Leo got it right the 1st time when he designed the 4, but fender never managed to get the blend right when constructing the 5 IMO. It sounds and feels like a 4 with a hangover. Maybe an upgrade in p/ups could make a solid difference?! im not sure though..

I'll put it this way .....I'll bet that 99% of "noted" bass players on this planet have a fender 4 in their collection, but i would imagine that only a minute percentage would use a J5.

I dunno though man ....its upto you.....you might be lucky and find a perfect J5 that suits you to a T. But every J5 that i have played has had me begging for my 4...

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    good advice. thanks guys. i'm leaning back twords the 4. every bassist needs a fender right?????

i'm also choosing between an american fender and an american fender delux.

i also love my maple neck but i'm thinking about trying a rosewood,,,,,any comments???

any comments.

11. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Precisely;)

About the deluxe series .........Not a bad bass, but if you want the whole active pickup thing, you may aswell stick with the musicman IMO, or look at what some other companies have to offer in that price range(or check out the fender roscoe beck) ........I wouldnt say that fender are renowned for their supreme electronics, thats for sure...

maple;)

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im a Fender fan but not the deluxe models. For me its a good old 4 string passive P bass. I have seen some great basses in the American series but not all of them are equal IMO. I love maple necks but they only had the natural ash with a rosewood neck. To me the difference is mostly in feel but the maple necks seem a little tighter in sound. Maybe a little brighter.

13. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Why not go for the four and add a Hipshot D-tuner to the E string. I've got them on both of my Fenders (62J RI and 57P RI) They work great although low C (what I keep mine tuned to) is about as low as you can go with them. They are a great alternative to a fiver IMHO.

14. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i wasn't aware that the fender american delux series was active. i do not want another active bass.....like i said i'm going for a more natural tone. can someone confirm that the delux is active?? i was reading about it and didn't catch that. if that's the case i think i'll just go with the fender american jazz bass.

this discussion is really helping my decision. thanks again guys.

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    what is a hip shot tuner??? got a link??/

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Not all the deluxe Fenders are active... check out their website. You can get the info from the available specs.

17. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I agree, but since he's looking for the Jazz sound/vibe, might i suggest a JO model?

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Good idea! B_B...check out the Lakland Skyline Joe Osbourne model before you plunk down on that Fender! The JO comes in 4 and 5 string versions, is passive and has the killer vintage-y Lindy Fralin pickups.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    By You -

I will heartily recommend the Lakland Skyline JO 5 if you're looking for a good "Jazz" 5 string bass. Very solid B string, plays and sounds great.

Oh, and I know a great place to get a good deal on one, place that takes care of TBers, and a guy that always tries to take extra care of fellow Lousy-ana-ians....(I'm guessin' from your name...;) )

(see my signature....:D)

20. Gard has made another victim...

His weapon of choice? GAS bombs! :D ;)