Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Need Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I put a bass on layaway that I would really like, but two weeks later, I saw a bass at a much better price. Should I ask if I can cancel my layaway? I suspect they would want the money because the instrument has been off the shelf and they could have sold it to someone else and I hate to dump on local dealer that I might need in the future, but still that other bass is a great deal. What would any of you do?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What basses and what costs? We need details :).

3. Unless they said it in the beginning, they cant charge you for layaway.

Or you could not say anything at all. leave it there long enough and they'll get the point eventually :D

4. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Guitar Center in St.Louis was great about giving back the money if it has'nt been in lay away too long. Gravity Strings is a smaller dealer so he may want to keep some of the money. Time may be the factor on which to base your decision. I hope this helps. Al aka homeboy

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys, the bass on layaway is a Geddie Lee Jazz, the one available cheap is a Lakland 5. I love the Geddie, but the Lakland is a mopre practical backup to my SR5. I will ask the dealer what their policy is.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Geddy*

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I talked to the dealer and since it has only been two weeks, they will charge me a 10% restocking fee. That is not bad at all.

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    +1

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Good thing I haven't formally ended my layaway yet. That Lakland at BassNW was sold before I could call in today. :oops:

10. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    You will probably get store credit or get charged a restocking fee (usually 10% of purchase price) if you cancel your layaway.