i need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tinkerbell100, Sep 22, 2002.

1. tinkerbell100

Sep 22, 2002
    ok, i'm new here, and i have a question. i've been playing bass for about two years now, and at the moment i have and ibanez gsr 200 (beginner bass)
    i was thinking about getting a new bass, a fender maybe..i'd be willing to spend about 500-800 dollars so i can't get anything really really expensive, and i want to know what you guys think...i'd like a fender (mexico) deluxe jazz bass V, should i go on to 5-string or stick with four?
    please tell me what you think, thanks so much
  2. Welcome to Talk Bass!

If you see yourself as a 5 string player, go ahead and make the jump. My experience is that a 5 is much more versatile with a low learning curve.

There's a great deal on an American Fender 5 at the Brook Mays in Addison TX - $499 "Overstock Sale". It's a new bass that plays very well adn sounded great. If I needed a 5, I would have bought it.

Others here will also have some great advice in that price range.

Good luck!
  3. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    I recently was dam close to buying a fender jazz, mexico, well it was a toss up between that and and a ibanez ATK and I went for the ibanez simply coz I'd love a music man but cant really afford it and they sound kinda the same, but the fender is a lovely bass, but it would really only be a small step up from your own you could allways look into buying a really good second hand fender it would cost a bit more but you'd have a bit of history. as for the 4 or 5 string whats ever does it for you, try both over and over again untill your happy.
  4. I own a Schecter Diamond Series Elite-5 with honey-burst, and I absolutely love it. It has great EMG's on it and an amazing quilted top on it. It fits right into you range (last I checked at GC it was $589). Check it out.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Getting used to a 5 string takes very little time, at least IME. I play five strings exclusively, not just for the extended low range, but for the convenience of having to make less position changes on the fretboard.

If you think a 5 is something you would like to get into, I say go for it.
  6. I second that!