1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tinkerbell100, Sep 22, 2002.

1. tinkerbell100

tinkerbell100

Sep 22, 2002
    ok, i'm new here, and i have a question. i've been playing bass for about two years now, and at the moment i have and ibanez gsr 200 (beginner bass)
    i was thinking about getting a new bass, a fender maybe..i'd be willing to spend about 500-800 dollars so i can't get anything really really expensive, and i want to know what you guys think...i'd like a fender (mexico) deluxe jazz bass V, should i go on to 5-string or stick with four?
    please tell me what you think, thanks so much
    tinkerbell100

2. Welcome to Talk Bass!

If you see yourself as a 5 string player, go ahead and make the jump. My experience is that a 5 is much more versatile with a low learning curve.

There's a great deal on an American Fender 5 at the Brook Mays in Addison TX - $499 "Overstock Sale". It's a new bass that plays very well adn sounded great. If I needed a 5, I would have bought it.

Others here will also have some great advice in that price range.

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. sargent_duck

sargent_duck Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Ireland
    I recently was dam close to buying a fender jazz, mexico, well it was a toss up between that and and a ibanez ATK and I went for the ibanez simply coz I'd love a music man but cant really afford it and they sound kinda the same, but the fender is a lovely bass, but it would really only be a small step up from your own you could allways look into buying a really good second hand fender it would cost a bit more but you'd have a bit of history. as for the 4 or 5 string whats ever does it for you, try both over and over again untill your happy.

4. Nuttboy311

Nuttboy311

May 30, 2002
    I own a Schecter Diamond Series Elite-5 with honey-burst, and I absolutely love it. It has great EMG's on it and an amazing quilted top on it. It fits right into you range (last I checked at GC it was $589). Check it out.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Getting used to a 5 string takes very little time, at least IME. I play five strings exclusively, not just for the extended low range, but for the convenience of having to make less position changes on the fretboard.

If you think a 5 is something you would like to get into, I say go for it.

6. Nuttboy311

Nuttboy311

May 30, 2002
    I second that!