1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gcampbell291, Oct 7, 2010.

1. gcampbell291

gcampbell291

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm going to buy a new bass. Right now I'm torn between the Stingray-5 Classic, and the MusicMan Bongo 6 HH. I love to slap a lot, but I also play Prog/Classic Rock. I like to have an edgy sound , but also a bright sound for slapping. I've played a Classic Stingray-4 and I love it to death, so the Classic-5 is very appealing to me, but I also want the ability to play a high-C AND a low-B. I have another 5er (Carvin fretless), so I could always string that with a high-C and keep the low-B on the Stingray (or vice versa), or I could just get the Bongo-6. I'm really torn guys, I need some advice. I know that eventually I'd buy the other, but being a student, it's hard to come up with 2k.

Also, I'm still new around here, so if this thread is redundant/unnecessary, then sorry! I just need advice because I'm the only serious bass player in my school, and the guys at Guitar Center aren't much help. Thanks!

2. I'll sum up all the responses you will get

1: get what you like
    2: buy the bongo
    3: buy the ray
    4: buy an SX
    5: sx sucks buy a fender
    6: sx is just as good as fender or better, but get an ibanez
    7: Rickenbackers RULE!!!!!!!!
    8. you can slap anything but its no good for metal
    9. get the one with better wood
    10. get the one with better pups
    11: Bacon, carrots or some such nonsense

All of this about 10 times each.

/thread.

3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Jazz bass hands down.:ninja:

Great for slap,, but nice for progressive stuff as well.

Ask Geddy Lee.

4. gcampbell291

gcampbell291

Jul 15, 2010
    Already have a Jazz bass haha.

5. LOL @ lousybassplayer - True. Just about sums up every similar thread that's been posted.

Of lousybassplayer's list, I think item #1 would be best suited for the OP. Buy the one that you like best.

If I had the choice of the 2, I suppose I am biased because the Bongo HH 6 is among the top 3 GAS items of my wishlist. Although not too much further down the list is a Stingray 5.

6. "If I had the choice of the 2, I suppose I am biased because the Bongo HH 6 is among the top 3 GAS items of my wishlist. Although not too much further down the list is a Stingray 5"

I am very rapidly developing a desire for a 6 string bongo. Funny, because I hated everything about the things when I first saw them, and I have still yet to play one, but for some reason a little voice in my head is telling me its worth a look.

But please, don't buy basses based on voices in MY head.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021