Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need advice!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by phunkymunky, Mar 5, 2003.

1. phunkymunky

phunkymunky

Mar 5, 2003
    I'm currently shopping for the best sound for my...sound. I want a relatively loud, "gutty" (very pizzicatto), low-action set of strings. I'm a jazz/funk player, if that helps the description. What types can any bass guru suggest? I noticed that many people love the Obligatos, but I also noticed that they have high action. I can't have that. What's out there?
    Thanks.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Phunnydude: It's not the strings that have high action, but the bass. Changing string type may require set-up adjustment.

You're asking for trouble: loud (= high action) , "gutty" (?) pizz (~low action) strings. You'll have to compromise one way or another...

AFAIK Obligato strings do not need particularly high action when compared to metal core strings.

Anyway, not only you're going to have to find what string you want by yourself, you gonna have also to practice to build up chops, in order to get the sound you want. Ed is ready to argue on that one.

Finally, for a super low action setup, I suggest Spirocore STARK (sp?) AND a good luthier. But maybe you won't like the result ! Who knows & how to find out ?

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That "gut like" sound you are speaking about, has more to do with how you play the bass than string selection. Getting a big sound out of the instrument shoud be the first consideration. I notice that I sound the same on pretty much every bass I play. Strings will give you a different color. More clear sounding, or more "thick" sounding. I would say to approximate the feel of gut, with a thicker sound, you would be wise to try the Obligatos. The action doesn't need to be high, but you will eventually realize that a slightly higher action will give you better results when you aquire the strength to play with it.

4. phunkymunky

phunkymunky

Mar 5, 2003
    Thanks for your responses. I will definitely take your advice.