i need advise on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elysiumbass, Apr 18, 2004.

1. elysiumbass

Apr 17, 2004
    ok fellows and lassies i am in a great delema i play like flea claypool type of music and im stuck between a music man sterling and a rickenbacker4003 and i have no doubts that all of you know a great bounty more than I so please help me

and another les inportant question is this :ninja: a ninja and what does that have to do with ANYTHING

good day
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The ninja is funny. That's about it.

If you've narrowed it down to those two basses, I'd recommend just sitting down with them and seeing which one feels better, and which sound you like better. I prefer Ric' tone, but I think the Stingray would be more conducive to your playing style.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Les Claypool? Rick?

Dont get the Rickenbacker. The slap tone , IMO, blows hard bunghole. It just sounds like you're using a pick and digging in.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a ric and I love the slap tone. When set correctly you can get a great slap tone.
  5. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    anyone have any clips of a Ric bass solo or maybe a Ric bass in a mix that stands out and is audible? There are none local to me and I want to hear one!
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ehh? k.. the 2 ive played..i wasnt impressed.

^^ if you listen to the band Yes.. Chris Squire used a Rick. He has distortion/overdrive and stuff on and he uses a pick but it still sounds like a Rick.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out some Spock's Beard. Definitive Rick tone.