Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need all of your opinions :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 311 fan, Jan 20, 2001.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Id like to continue learning bass, but i have no way to learn anything new. Teachers are to expensive, so I was wondering if any of you knew of any books or videos that give good lessons about chords, scales, progressives, and future stuff like that. No beginner stuff that I already know. Maybe stuff you would learn in or around your 10th lesson? Im open to any ideas or suggestions you have. What do ya'll think? Thanx in advance.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    311, look no further. You have found it.

We have in our membership 14435 members. Among these members are players all the way from rank beginners to seasoned pros such as Bob G. and Steve lawson, both of whom have shown not only a willingness, but even an eagerness to help players at every level. Imagine what that caliber of expertise would cost in private lessons.

I am in the same position as you. I can play but my theory sucks. I have yet to ask a question that wasn't answered accurately and promptly. You are lucky to have played long enough to know what questions to ask.

There are several members who are active posters that have a way of explaining things so clearly that even I understand them. I have what amounts to a s*** load of lessons taken from their posts.

Ask directly or do a search on most subjects and I promise you that someone will offer something that will fit your needs.

There is a world of knowledge down on the DB board, but those guys are serious down there so I wouldn't go there and ask how you can slap like Fieldy. Ask a serious question about theory though and there is a wealth of knowledge there. Just be careful with that guy named Ed Fuquae. He tends to know his stuff cold but he is a little unstable if you cross him. :) :) (just kidding Ed)

Good luck, Pkr2

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Dang. Lessons must be pretty expensive. The only teacher I had was kinda' whacked.
    He couldn't read bass clef :eek: . I'd take in a tape of a song I wanted to learn and he'd
    pick out the bass line. Half-an-hour later...$5 please :D.
    He did teach ME how to do this before I quit. `Spose I developed a pretty good
    ear for keys, etc. What can I say? It was a REAL small town :p .

Anyhoo, I DID want to learn more theory. This is a good place to start (esp. intervals & scales)...

[​IMG]

I found it at a local Mars. You could try orderin' it from here ~ http://carlfischer.com/grimoire/gt03.htm .
    It's recommended by Noel Redding (Hendrix' bassist) :D .

Elderly has a bunch of good books and videos for sale...
    books ~http://elderly.com/books/220.htm
    videos ~http://elderly.com/videos/922.htm