I need all opinions here please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311 fan, Feb 12, 2001.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I guess you could call me a pretty good bassist. Nine months on a four string with my fingers screaming. Now id like to get into five stringers. Tuned BEADG for reference. Anyway, at Musicians friend.com I found a great deal but id like to know if its good and if its worth it. Its a Fernandes Tremor 5 standard 5 string bass with a bolt on maple neck, j pickups, and an alder body. Its list price is $812, but its on a good sale for $350. Thats an awsome deal. It looks good to me. Im into mostly playing rock, but a bass good for all types of music is great to have. What do you guys think? I really think you should check it out at the site before you answere though. Thanx for your opinions. ( I hope John answers this! )
  2. Something you should be aware of is that most guitar manufacturers put really high list prices on their stuff so the store can sell the stuff for less and say "Look how much we mark that down!" I'd see if you can find an identical one in a guitar shop. The prices will probably be similar, and I'd personally be willing to pay a little more for a bass that I can make sure is good. Otherwise, it seem like a good deal. I've heard good stuff about Fernandes.
  3. smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I don't know. Sam Ash's prices are pretty low
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fernandes are pretty good for the price, they are worth about the $350 that they are on sale for, no more IMHO.

Something you need to be aware of - the string spacing on a Fernandes is ridiculously tight - tighter thanan Ibanez or a Dean 5 string.

If you can't play a Fernandes locally, I would recommend playing an Ibanez or Dean 5 string, and then try to figure out if you can play a bass with even tighter spacing than those.
  5. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    you say that you want a real versatile bass. well, I'D at least want a split p and j pickup instead of two j's. and for rock, in my experiences, j's just don't produce that low growl, especially for a five string. but that could just be me.

i have a used 5 sring for sale on this site. just in case.

6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000