1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Need All The Info You Can Give Me On The Ipod Nano!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Apr 7, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I really want one of these things, the four gig version. A thousand songs is pretty sweet. I mean, I could do with more, but it's not like I need every song I know on me all the time.

So what say you about the Nano?

Good things, bad things, cool features, etc.

Is it worth buying the "real" Ipod?

Thanks,
    Graeme

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Heh, I checked that. I just meant I hear about a lot of problems... and also a lot of good things. Obviously the website isn't gonna tell me about the bad things.

So I need both the good and bad stories.

Graeme

4. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I have a video. I don't really use the video on it. I went over 4 gigs along time ago. If your serious about music, I'd get either an old 20 gig or a video. Also, be sure to get a case, these things scratch EXTREMELY easy

5. They are small and boxlike, and are usually silver in color.

Rock on
    Eric

6. We got our girls some Nanos for Christmas. My wife has an Ipod Mini. I have an old Creative Jukebox that I upgraded to 40gb.

1) The Nanos SCRATCH easily like Kruton said. You really need to get a case.
    2) Compared to the Mini, they seem fragile (the Mini has an aluminum case). So far, we haven't had a problem.
    3) They have no moving parts like the other Ipods (hard drives vs flash memory) so you could probably drop them and not have a hard drive crash.
    4) They're very small; good and bad. They're easy to lose and steal. My wife's first Mini was stolen right from our kitchen (don't know who did it, but we have a lot of kid traffic in our house). Do you know that the Ipod is one of the most stolen items? They even caution against wearing those white earbuds in public. Good thing..you can have it on you all the time since it's so small.
    4) The girls are in high school and it seems the 2gig Nanos are sufficient. My wife's 6gb Mini is getting to be about 2/3 full. My 40gb Jukebox is less than half full. I think if you're going to be serious, the 4gb may not be enough. On the other hand, these things go obsolete in 1/2 to 1 year, so you may want another one fairly soon.

Can't think of anything else right now....

7. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I've got a 4gb nano. There's not nearly enough storage space for my needs, but it was a (very extravagant) gift so I'm not complaining :)

I hear a lot of people complaining about how they scratch easily, but I've had mine for months and it has still to receive a single noticeable scratch. Perhaps I'm just less discerning than most. It spends almost every day in my pocket.

It doesn't have a hard drive so won't skip, and seems fairly durable. Arstechnica did an article which focused on durability quite some time ago.

Basicly, I'm in love with this thing. The only thing which really annoys me is the iTunes software. I don't get along with it at all - I now use EphPod to update.

The video iPod seems like a bit of a novelty to me, and a way to quickly drain your battery. Plus they're not nearly as sexy as the nano :)

8. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Well, I found a neat little trick that might make you want to get an iPod video.

What I do is download family guy episodes off of bittorrent or limewire (doesn't really matter), then I convert them to a quicktime format and load them on iTunes. Then i put them on my iPod. THEN I put my ipod in a ziplock bag and either plug some speakers into it or some really loud headphones. I stand my iPod up on the edge of the bathtub (while its in the ziplock bag), and I get in and have a blast. I feel really rich when I do it and it's loads of fun. I guess it would work with stuff other than family guy, but i'm not that rebellious... Anyway. Just a thought.

9. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I didn't mean for that to sound perverted, in case there are any perverts on these forums (which i'm sure there are. :p)

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Are the earbuds that the Ipod comes with the only ones you can use? Just wondering, because I was listening to my friend's Nano, and I couldn't stand the earphones. I didn't look, but I'm assuming it's the same earphone jack that's on every CD player?

Graeme

11. You can use just about any headphone with it. I think Etymotic makes a good one (expensive.). If you like cheap, a modified Koss "The Plug" earbud gets good comments ($10!). All you do is get foam earplugs, cut them to size and make a hole in the middle. Stick the earplug shaft in, smash the earplug up and insert in your ear.

12. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I have the 40G iPod. The only concerns I have for the Nano are:
    1. Limited memory (4G)
    2. Changing the batteries (send it in? and $$$?)

13. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The nano was too small for my needs, but I didn't want video on my mp3 player either. So I got a Creative Sleek Photo. 20gigs, photo capability, not too small and has already taken a fall that would destroy a nano.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I filled up my 6-gig mini, and hadn't even gotten to my classical music. So I gave that one to my wife, and got 60-gig.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I just received two 4GB Nano's this week as a gift from one of our vendors. I haven't opened them yet. I'm not an iPOD guy.

I'll probably leave them unopened. Maybe they will be worth a fortune someday as some old technology before we all started having chips implanted in our brains to load our music on.

-Mike

16. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I'd get credit from the store and someday when you want one you can use it to buy the latest one.

17. The size isn't really useful for anything else than showing off to your friends. The real iPods are not even twice as big, yet hold 32 times as many songs as a 2gb. The size isn't worth it, especially for someone with a lot of music.

Also - you DO need every song you know on you all the time. Trust me.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That, or you could send one to me. In black, preferably. ;)

I think I'll look into Creative as well. I have a Creative flash mp3 player, and it has worked out nicely. I guess I just figured iPods were the "be all and end all" of portable music.

Graeme

19. I use one (4 gig) to listen to on my way to/from school every day. I listen to 2 or 3 albums on it every day. 4 gigs is not much (600-900 songs is a realistic bet) but it'll do for me... and I have thousands of mp3s on my computer! It's definitely more useful than a cd player. I got an extended warranty, but so far so good. It's been several months and no problems. The battery isn't that bad, as long as you don't leave the backlight on.