Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need amp advice.........puleeze!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whamonkey, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Hey all,
    This question has probably been posted a number of times but I don't have time to go through the archives :) I would like some opinions on what type of amp (combo or head & cab) I should use for my church praise band. I'd say the room is 100 x 100, 8 foot ceilings, and pretty open but for the chairs. I'm playing through a Fender combo (200w) now, but the guy who owns it is leaving so I'm not sure I want to go with the same combo. I play a Fender American Jazz V, and I'd like to preserve the warmth of it, but still have the ability to punch it now and again. Thought about going through the system with a Sansamp, but you lose so much that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys...........

2. Try a Trace Elliot 7215 combo, you can get a good second hand one for about $350 US. More than enough for Church. I had a Peavy TNT 160 watter too, tho the darn thing got really noisy after a few months. All the best with your search.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Id recomend something about 350 watts run thru a 4x10 cab. (350 is alot, but its nice to have headroom)

Shop around untill you find the ones that sound best to you.

Some decent brands to look into are

Eden
    Ampeg
    SWR
    Peavey
    Fender (bassman)

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't think he needs 350 W. I think he could do fine with something like an Ampeg B-100.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, I just played through a new Fender Bassman 210 combo today. I was surprised. I'd consider it, but only if an Eden Metro or SWR Super Redhead is not in the budget.

6. Aha! Some great options already, I knew I could count on you guys. Listen, has anybody played through an SWR Workingman 15 combo? I mean out live, not in the store......It seems to have gotten a few eyebrows up at Bass Player mag.(And my point is???????) The Fender at the church now is 200W but the guy plays a 4-str. I was reading that with a 5 you should actually have another external speaker to move more air. The SWR has a line out for that and seems to have the features I'm looking for. (price $699, portable enough, sound quality) I have heard Eden amps are really something but probably outta my range, and yes, the Redhead is too much $! :rolleyes:

7. If you like the Eden sound,consider the Nemesis stuff. They make a 1x15,1x12,2x10,and 4x10 combos. Very cool,and like them alot better than the SWR Workingmans stuff. Don't forget Peavey. Their new cabinets are very impressive. You could get 300-400 watts and a 4x10 cabinet pretty cheap,if you want something that big. I would also second the guy who mentioned the Ampeg B100 combo. If you want a smaller combo,the Ampeg B50 and B100's rock. I tried them next to the SWR combos and my guitarist and both thought they had a much warmer and punchier sound. The B100 is about the same power and $100 or so cheaper. And they got rave reviews in Bass Player. Just my $.02. Good luck...

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm going to plant my foot firmly on the fence here... Like cassanova, I think that it is always preferable to have more headroom than you'll need... 350W is a lot, but at low volume, the lows sound truly impressive and can breathe with that kind of wattage behind them.

That being said, the Ampeg B100R is a nice amp with more thump than is suggested by it's 100W rating. The youth bass player in my church has a B100R and I've used it a few times playing for the Sunday service... More than enough to cover a room like you have described.

Also, just the fact that Munjibunga has said that he'd consider a Fender Bassman is a high recommendation indeed! :D

-robert

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    oh he could get away with less watts, but its about having headroom, as stated, the lows will breath so much better with the extra headroom.

I play a church gig now, and I only run 120watts into my cab, I borrowed my friends 350 watt head this past sunday (same head as mine actually just more power) and it sounded so much better.

I also agree with Munji, the Fender 2x10 bassman combo is a great amp.

10. I'm thinking that the cabinet-head route sounds like the way to go, if for nothing else than the fact you can change one or the other if the sound is not cutting it cheaper than a whole combo. (as in the previous example!) So.................now that that's out of the way, any favorite amp-cabinet combos from you guys?

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    a used SWR Goliath Jr. and used SWR350 head.

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm curious but what head are you talking about that has 120 watts?

And what about a tube amp? I'm not sure if I'm right but no matter what the wattage I've heard it will always have the same quality even if you're running the amp at max... can't remember who said that on this board.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    good call, on going with a seperate head/cab.

Alot of people here will recomend Eden, Swr, and Ampeg. Those are all good cabs, (especially the Eden.) But if your like most people, your probably on a budget, or dont have $1000-$1500 readily available. So if you are I recomend the Carvin RL 4x10T Redeye. IMO its the best bang for the buck cab and sounds just as good as the ampegs and SWR's in its price range. Its only $429 after shipping, and IMO you wont find a Cab that sounds as good for this price.

I use a Hartke 2000 head run thru a 600 watt cab.

at 8 ohms, this heads only 120 watts, at 4 ohms, its 200.