i need an amp for bass and electric!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anti-Cult Bass, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Anti-Cult Bass

Anti-Cult Bass

May 23, 2007
    exactly as the title says. i play bass, and i play six string guitar. i need an amp that can handle both of them. idk if they make them like that, but thats what im trying to find out. im in a couple of bands, and i play bass for one and guitar for the other. we are just starting to look at some gigs, and i need a half stack that im going to be able to play both instruments through. if you have ever heard of an amp that can support both, let me know. i just dont have the money to buy a guitar amp and a bass amp.

2. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

Check out Acoustic Image; perhaps a Clarus 1 amp. Pair it with a nice 4x10 bass enclosure.

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    For what style of music? For what kind of sounds? Distortion on the guitar? From a stompbox or the amp? Do you need channel switching?

Come on, man, we need details!

4. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    Line 6 POD X3 - into a power amp - into a 4x10 or 2/4x12 (bass cab)

5. I'd have to agree with the POD idea through a Power Amp and out to a cabinet of some sort.

Anything else would be filled with compromises. Guitar amps aren't meant to have bass through them and bass amps aren't all that great at reproducing guitar sounds.

You might look at something like this:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LSX1503A

With a PODX3Live as your front end...

6. Grab an Orange Thunderverb, best of both worlds and all tube

7. Well, it better be for around $3000 for the head alone...

Yikes!

Looks nice though...

8. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    again what kind of bands? what sound are you going for and which instrument is your priority (if you had to pick one)

an amp shouldn't be a problem, however the speaker cab that can double for guitar and bass is going to be quite a compromise. definately depends on the sounds you are looking to get.

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Get a nice clean sounding bass amp an POD the guitar thru it..or a tube driver of some sort.

10. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    orange or hiwatt amps is the way to go!

11. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Heh. You should hear a guitar through my Trace Elliot V-Type 220 W tube head and the Trace Elliot 4x12 800 W sealed bass cab. Especially a 7-string or baritone guitar. With distortion from the amp. :eek:

Of course, you don't really want to be in the same building as the amp and cab, but it rawks.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe a good bass head, and seperate cabs for each? That's kind of a tricky one there, not sure there is a perfect solution.

13. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    An Ampeg V4 or the VT22 will sound fine for bass or guitar you will need seperate cabs. Which model to choose depends on how much volume you need.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    How much cash is in your pocket?
    I mean, what's your budget?

Can't do anything until we know that.

Also, what is the instrumentation in both bands? What equipment does each member have, including guitars, effects, amps, cabs, speakers/sizes, etc.

How big are the venues you'll be playing in?

What equipment do you have now?

I have an original Acoustic 150 w/ an Acoustic 6x10 closed back guitar cab. You can play bass at a good volume through it if you don't boom the bottom end so it depends on what tone your looking for. For guitar, you don't want to be in the same room if you turn it up past 3 or 4. It will fill any venue. With an extension cab on the other side of the stage, it will fill small outdoor venues with no FOH.

15. I say a power amp, like a Crown, and then a pedal for each.

For bass, you can get an Ampeg-type sound with a Sansamp VT pedal.
    For guitar, uhh someone will chime in. :smug:

16. Fender Bassman 100/135 with matching sealed cab. Bright channel for guitar and normal for bass. I did it for couple of years and it worked pretty well. Also Orange OR120, Ampeg V4... basically all vintage high (100W+) all-tube heads, but those Fenders can be seen pretty cheap. I also had to let our guitarist play through my Markbass LMK head second channel and 3x10 cab and once EQed properly he got better clean jazz sound than from his Marshall half stack that crapped out.
    Hope it helps.

17. Hey ! Basses are electric too !