I need an explanation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkbassist, Dec 14, 2001.

1. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    why the **** are there soo many no name bass companies these days? Most suck and are sold at wal-mart. But some bass companies though are genius, Like for instance OLP, someone dicided to make a copy of a musicman for a cheap price. and musicman wanters who dont got that money will buy it aint that a genius thing? But i figure im savin my money and i will buy the real musicman. Not some junky no name brand who still dont got a web site
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'd agree just save your money and buy a junk musicman verse a cheaper junk OLP! :)

ACTUALLY, save a few more bucks and buy a real PRE-EB musicman!! Then you will have something.
  3. Well, those OLP basses are officially licensed by Ernie Ball/Musicman. As to where they're produced (or who produces them) I don't know. I think they're in essence just another product from EB/MM though.

But I agree with saving up for the real thing. You can find used Stingrays/Sterlings for some great prices nowadays. They're definitely worth it!

Of course this is coming from someone getting ready to sell a Stingray, so maybe my opinion isn't all that trustworthy.... :)
  4. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    no those cost even more basically because of the 2 guys playing with the logo in the shape of MM. The ones leo made known as "the future of the p-bass" cost a hell lot more. so my question is what r u thinking? how could you say they are cheaper?
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    EB music man, verse the origanal are totally different. Try one you will see. Preamp, pickups and all are totally different on the EB's verse the origanals. Theres a huge difference, the PRE-EB's have so much more presence.
  6. ok, I hope you're not talking to me because I didn't say anything about the originals being cheaper...

Now pre-EB Stingrays are definitely hard to find and very expensive. For people in love with the Stingray sound, they're a dream come true. That's not exactly my style so a newer Stingray 5 was fine for me for a while.

I still think the newer Stingrays are great basses, they're just not quite the bass for me.
  7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i like stingrays so much,they have that "signature sound" that you cant really get on anything else.I guess thats why they cost so much?i could never afford one...well not yet.
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Everybody has the freedom to invest in a business for profit. Time will tell if their idea pays off.
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hmm.. no-name basses? such as what? don't knock it till you try it... there are plenty of basses I don't like.. but I wouldn't say it sucked.. what I may not like someone may love.. for instance I love my stingray 5... there are some people ( I can't imagine why ;) ) who hate stingrays... i say to them.. suck it.. just kidding.. to each his own.. :)
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    bmm bmm bmm bmm ...

Samick Samick bo-Bamick
    Banana pana fo-Famick
    Fee fie mo-Mamick

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Samick's are played by Mannix, just don't panic and get all frantic. And I hear that they are made of granite.
  12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Go Embellisher with your mad "flowing." *raises the roof* :p
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Alright Funkmaster E!
  14. OMG! Before you say ANYTHING about samick you have to consider the fact that virtually every Korean guitar or bass is made by the Samick Corperation such as Washburns, Ibanez, and Krammers. BTW would you really call a company like Samick who is very well known for there crappy basses a "no name":confused: ;)
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How many times do I have to say this?

Ibanez' Korean models are made in the Core-Tek factory, where Corts are made.
  16. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Remember when Joel DeBartolo played in the NBC orchestra on the "Tonight Show"? Back when Johnny Carson was on.Joel had a black MM.

That bass cut through that huge band,even on cheap TV speakers.