1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need an opinion for an idea.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by By-Tor, Jan 23, 2003.

1. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have an old Squire bass, my first bass bought back in the mid 80's.
    It has a Warmoth neck, Kahler bridge an a old Carvin pu. The body has been stripped down to the bare wood. It plays and sounds pretty good.
    Here's my idea. I would like to have the top of the body planed down ¼" and have a nice solid quilted maple top (no pickguard) put on it.
    I know, it's alot of work for a bass that cost me less than $160 new, but the body is poplar or basswood I think and looks pretty good. If this becomes reality I will probably have the body routed
    so I can add a jazz pu in the bridge position, and will need to have access to the electronics thru the back of course.
    I would just like some feedback on this idea. If anyone has done this or if anyone knows a good luthier who would do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, if you're gonna do it yourself it'll be a really cool project that might turn out ok :)& it might not.:(

If you're gonna have it professionally done, $160 will cover, umm, well not much.:eek:

I suggest getting a Warmoth body with the woods, body style, p/u congig & color you want.:cool:

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would really just go to warmoth to start an undertaking like this. If your going to build from the ground up do it with some good parts and warmoth has a great rep. It just seems like alot of work when you could get some much better wood.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I have to agree with the others, if you're looking to have a very nice looking & playing bass when you're done, order a body from warmoth made to the specs you described. You already have a warmoth neck that should fit perfectly on it. In all honesty, I seriously doubt that you'd find a luthier to modify your body for less than warmoth can build one custom for you.

On a side note, the bass in question sounds like a pretty cool beater, and those are always great to have around.

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I like Nino's suggestion of taking the project on myself. I know I could do it, if I could get the body planed down.

I thought about getting a body from Warmoth, but if I did that I would just build me a completly different bass.

I know this sounds cheesy but the bass has "sentimental value" since it was my first bass and that I bought it myself when I was a kid. I worked hard for that money.

But the funny thing is the only thing original is the body, tuners and neck plate.

I appreciate all the comments, thanks.