I need an opinion for an idea.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by By-Tor, Jan 23, 2003.

1. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have an old Squire bass, my first bass bought back in the mid 80's.
    It has a Warmoth neck, Kahler bridge an a old Carvin pu. The body has been stripped down to the bare wood. It plays and sounds pretty good.
    Here's my idea. I would like to have the top of the body planed down ¼" and have a nice solid quilted maple top (no pickguard) put on it.
    I know, it's alot of work for a bass that cost me less than $160 new, but the body is poplar or basswood I think and looks pretty good. If this becomes reality I will probably have the body routed
    so I can add a jazz pu in the bridge position, and will need to have access to the electronics thru the back of course.
    I would just like some feedback on this idea. If anyone has done this or if anyone knows a good luthier who would do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, if you're gonna do it yourself it'll be a really cool project that might turn out ok :)& it might not.:(

If you're gonna have it professionally done, $160 will cover, umm, well not much.:eek:

I suggest getting a Warmoth body with the woods, body style, p/u congig & color you want.:cool:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would really just go to warmoth to start an undertaking like this. If your going to build from the ground up do it with some good parts and warmoth has a great rep. It just seems like alot of work when you could get some much better wood.
  4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I have to agree with the others, if you're looking to have a very nice looking & playing bass when you're done, order a body from warmoth made to the specs you described. You already have a warmoth neck that should fit perfectly on it. In all honesty, I seriously doubt that you'd find a luthier to modify your body for less than warmoth can build one custom for you.

On a side note, the bass in question sounds like a pretty cool beater, and those are always great to have around.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I like Nino's suggestion of taking the project on myself. I know I could do it, if I could get the body planed down.

I thought about getting a body from Warmoth, but if I did that I would just build me a completly different bass.

I know this sounds cheesy but the bass has "sentimental value" since it was my first bass and that I bought it myself when I was a kid. I worked hard for that money.

But the funny thing is the only thing original is the body, tuners and neck plate.

I appreciate all the comments, thanks.