Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need an Opinion.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Aug 24, 2000.

1. I have this really nice collectors item. It's a Custom made Aria Pro II bass with a Tiger Striped Explorer Style body. It has both P-bass and J-bass pickups on it. They are both Active EMGs. It is a 4-stringed bass. It has a Kahler Tremolo. It also has a signature by Gene Simmons on it which makes it a collectors item. I want to get an Ernie Ball Sting Ray. I don't have the money for one, and it might take a while(real long time) to get it. I love the sound on the Sting Ray a lot more than that on my Aria Pro. Do you think that i should sell the Aria Pro to get a Sting Ray, or do you think that i should keep the Aria Pro and just wait the time needed to get the money for a Sting Ray?

2. tk_8_316

tk_8_316

Aug 23, 2000
    dude, you could probably sell it for enough to get two of what you want. i say go for it

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The bass, though rare, sounds like a dust collecting eyesore. And Kiss sucks. So IMO, sell that bit of the 80's for a really nice stingray. Better yet, find a loser from the 80's who loves kiss and has a nice Stingray that he "likes" but would easily trade his 'Ray and his car for that bass you have. Maybe someone from the Kiss Army would collect that bass. Put it on Ebay, see what happens. (Or bassgear.com for free and see what happens)

4. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey easy, I don't go around trashing bands you like. So I guess I'm a loser. I'm glad someone gave you the privelege to judge others.

If he thinks it's a collectors item, then he should keep it.

Mr.FortuneCookie, as long as you're happy with it, don't sell it. Just save your pennies for the Stingray.

5. Mr. Fortune Cookie.. I just looked at the picture you posted in the other thread.. KEEP IT! Like Doug said, just save up for a Music Man, but I would keep that tiger-striped thing, Gene Simmons signature or not.. it's too cool not to play on-stage!

6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    No offense, I just like to ruffle the feathers a bit. He said he likes the ray a lot more soundwise than his Tiger Striped "Rock and Roll all night and party everyday" bass. So why not sell it? It's only going to get truly valuable if Gene Simmons dies or if Kiss had a hit that he recorded the bass on. Personally, I'd keep, lets say, a Jack Bruce Signature series with his signature or a Flea Bass with Flea's signature because I like the players and the basses sound good. I'd keep a Gene Simmons bass if it's value steadily went up over the past 15 years from what I paid for it or if I like the sound over another bass. But if I bought this bass and never used it and it's value is stagnant, I'd sell it. It's just what I'd do. Who wants to lose money? Who wants to keep something that could make you a profit if it's useless to you?

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Mr. F.C.,
    Only you know how much you like this bass. If you really like it, hold on to it. You're probably never going to see it again if you sell it. If you're just clinging to it because you think it is valuable, it might be time to see how much value it has, and cash in to get that Stingray. I hope this helps.

(Personally, I'm a packrat. My girlfriend was stunned because I just sold a couple of effects pedals on eBay :) )

8. FWIW, in the past, when I've sold music equipment, I usually end up regreting it.

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Do you want to be a collector...or a player??? It would be nice to have the money to do both....:)

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I too went and checked out that bass. Way cool. You sound like me: I don't have the cash flow to change gear much. If you are looking for a long term bass to settle down with and grow as a player, get the Sting Ray. Sell it for a bunch of money before the economy tanks. That bass is like a wild college girlfriend of whom you will have fond memories of that night on top of the dorm elevator. However, you wouldn't want her raising your children. Break up and grow old with a Music Man.

11. Hey, don't hold back. Be honest. How do you really feel about Kiss? ;)

That said, that bass is pretty rough on the eyes, IMO. Good luck selling it on ebay. Just try to avoid selling it to that current high bidder with the (-2) feedback. Big Spender my ass!

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    man, i would keep it. definitely. i have every bass i ever owned, including some fairly valuable 4 strings (78 jazz bass, 73 ric 4001, 85-86 pedulla fretless) and i won't ever sell them - i don't even play 4 string anymore, haven't for 7 years, and i seriously doubt i ever will. so keep the bass, you will always dig it - i still get a kick outa lookin at my first bass, steinberger copy.

13. Keep it man. While some of the others on this site don't like it, I think that it is one hella cool lookin' bass. I would pay mucho deniro for a bass such as that.

No, I don't want to buy it. I am broke. Spent too much on my bass project.:)

Rock on
    Eric

14. Hell man If i had the money I'd buy that bass from you but I would say that your best bet would be to put it up on ebay and sell it for a mint man you can get a lot of money a collecters item like that