I need another BASS book.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Dec 27, 2002.

1. This is what I've got:

1. Standing in the Shadows of Motown: James Jamerson (Recommended by you guys. Very good bio, but it's not great for instruction. It's good for practicing reading skills)

2. (a.) Paul McCartney Bass (signature licks step by stem breakdown of Paul's bass playing style)
    (b.) (I own every McCartney bassline)

3. The Bass Player Book - Bass Player magazine (Never really liked this one)

4. Beginning Electric Bass (David Overthow)

Okay, any unaminous decisions by all you pros on what another good book would be for me, based on what you see what I have already? Been playing on and off for over a year now.
  2. I just found a good thread titled Practice Routine/Time Alotment by cassanova.

This is what he said to practive for a two hour session each day:

If you know a book that has all this in one book in practice routines, then please tell. I'd be greatly obliged.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I dont know of any one book that has all this stuff in it. Sorry.
  4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Serious Electric bass ; Di bartolo

All the lleft hand technique youll ever need

Willis fingerboard harmony; A condenced version of all the left hand technique youll ever need.

Finger funk workbook vol 2 ;vitti great technique book that has alot of enfisis on (right hand technique)rhythm. get vol 2 because it has tab to answer you fingering questions

Walking bass ;friedland

For sight reading know this There is 2 diferent ways to practice sight reading melody's and lead sheets. Real world will be a combination of the 2 and reading bass lines.

1) SIGHT READ a piece super slow try not to make any mistakes but dy o not stop if you do make them.

repeat once

find a new piece to work on .

use every and any music you can ,treble and bass clef

2) Get charts/lead sheets as many as you can find play through them do not stop for mistakes

A Bass clef real book would be a good perchase for alot of melody's to read and charts to folow in one place. Try to get other music though.

Dont bother getting a "sight reading book" just borrow as much music from anybody you can and use it to read.

5. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    simandal-new method for double bass

mel bay-bunny brunnel book bass essentials

scott hubbel's fretboard alchemy found at bassically.net
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    - Arban's Conservatory for Trombone
    - Any in the Jamey Aebersold play-along series
    - Real/Fake Books - Chuck Sher
    - The Latin Bass Book - Oscar Stagnaro/Chuck Sher
    - Bille (Nuovo Metodo) - Ricordi
    - Bach Six Suites for Cello
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's a list of some of my favorites:

"Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar and Bass" with CD...Gary Willis (Hal Leonard)

"Fingerboard Harmony for Bass Guitar" with CD, by Gary Willis (Hal Leonard)

"The Bass Grimoire" by Adam Kadmon. (Most scales and chords you'll ever need to know, but no explanation of how to use them.)

"The Gig Bag Book of Bass Scales" by Dineen and Bridges (Amsco Publications)

or "Scales and Modes for Bass" Hall and Manus (Alfred)

"Play Electric Bass from Chord Symbols" by Roger Filiberto (Mel Bay)

"Chord Studies for Electric Bass" Appleman and Viola (Berklee Press)

"Mel Bay's Bass Improvising for Upright or Electric" by Earl Gately (Mel Bay)
  8. Thanks for all the recommendations, guys!

The winner...by unaminous decision...goes to Fingerboard Harmony For Bass BY Gary Willis.

I'll see where I can order this book the cheapest. Sheetmusic.com has it for $17.95 and barnes & noble has it for $17.05.

I forgot to mention that I already have Gary Willis' book "Ultimate Ear Training." It's a great book, but I wish he organized the exercises a little better.