1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need another P bass, but which one?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Plenty of threads on Ps at the moment, but I want another P bass, and Im not sure which to go for.

I have an AS Fender P 3TS/Rosewood (2009 model). Fantastic P, really good bass! I know I will keep this for a long time.

I want another P, definitely rosewood, just because P's work with what I do.

What can you recommend?

Another American Standard?

Squier CV P? (worried this wont be quite the same)

2. Why not mix it up and try a Lakland, or a Lull or something like that?

Maybe get something with a different body wood just for variety?

3. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing precisely why you want another one. For a different neck feel? A different range of tone?

4. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Hit the in-person used market and try something from another brand. Definitely "audition" it out on your own amp to make sure it has the tone you want. Everyone make's a "P bass" style bass, so this is your chance on getting something maybe not everyone else has, while still getting the tone you want.

5. Im after something similar, just another basically! I really like P basses, and so far ive tried a lot and Fender's hit the mark IF you get a good one.

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    You just answered your own question, then. Get another one just like the one you have -- in a different color of course.

7. gordon sims

gordon sims

Nov 23, 2010
    I'm not a fan of Dirnt's music, but I love the bass. Vintage tone, with lots of mids. And affordable (especially used).

8. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    Lately I have been building my own bass's from various parts I pick up from here and ebay. So far everything that has been assembled and set up, sounds and plays great for me. I have built some 5,and four string bass's.

9. I was going to look at vintage, but I dont know enough about the market. Im quite a cautious buyer.

Lakland have nice designs but I dont want a modern pickup. If it was still a Fralin id be after a Lakland P.

Anyone directly A/Bed the new AS with a Squier CV?

They cant be that close...

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My answer is simple: buy a MIM P. Set it up with strings or other hardware as you like it.

Done, problem solved.

I just don't think that, provided the neck and body are good, P-basses are all that different, other than the strings and pickups. I don't put stock in worrying about differences in body wood - IMO that doesn't matter. So my vote is that if you need a different one, buy a moderately priced basic P and mod lightly to suit your need.

YMMV.

11. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    There's so many flavors of Fender Pbass offered right now. It all depends really if you're set on the 9.5" radius and 1.65" nut. I just picked up a CFM FAS P which I love but the neck feel is a lot different from my other (and prior owned) P Basses that had the 1.75" nut and 7.25" radius.

For the same type of neck profile that you have currently, I will say, I checked out the American Special line, and wasn't happy with it.* For the $200 more, the FAS is a much a nicer beast and comes with a really nice hardshell case. Haven't really checked out the Highway One series, but from what people on here say, they've been anywhere from bleh to pretty decent.

On the earlier neck profiles, if you're ok with MIM, all of the Roadworns and Classic 50's Ps I've tried I've totally loved. Never found an AVRI 57 to try, but I have a feeling I'd probably bought one of those instead of my FAS if I had been able to play one. (Once again, I'm used to the earlier neck profile/specs). Actually strike that, you wanted a Rosewood Fretboard... The AV62 might fit your needs, I hear good things about those, but haven't personally tried one.

If you're looking for a clone of what you have, just getting another FAS might be exactly what you need.

* Caveat to this - I was in the market for a P with a Maple Fretboard, so those were the only ones I checked out. YMMV.

12. BrianS198

BrianS198

Sep 21, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Pardon my bluntness, but what is the point of owning two of the exact same bass?

I mean, if you were to have one fretless and one fretted, I could see that. Or different electronics with flats vs roundwounds or something. But if they're set up the same, aren't you just wasting money?

13. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I still am really confused what you're going for here. My professional advise would be play your P bass, put your "new P bass" money in a jar, and use it when you're actually GASing for something in particular, not just spending your tax return for the hell of it.

14. AmB3r

AmB3r

Apr 4, 2011
    Personally, I'd get the Roger Water's MIM P-bass, but just because it's the only P I'd buy, hopefully picking it up in 2 weeks.

15. I'm not spending for the hell of it, I just like p basses and would like two.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    u sir need to buy my Lakland Bob Glaub.... best deal ever

17. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    i have two also 1 passive p and one 2011 mia deluxe p on the way cant wait

18. Schecter Diamond p bass custom

19. nostatic