I need assistance with an Eden Xlt 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SerBass, Nov 13, 2003.

1. SerBass

SerBass Guest

Nov 8, 2003
    Let me first state that I'm not a dufus. Today I bought a used Eden Xlt 410 and the back label is torn off except for the lower input indicator. There are 2 inputs for speaker cable and I need to know which one is the 4 ohm plug since there are no ohm indicators. There is an upper and lower input on the right side. I know the left side is for the Speakon input. I tried to ask the kid working in the store but he's a drum goon and didn't know. The owner of the shop wasn't in. Also, can I ruin my head if I make the wrong connection into the cab?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The 1/4" inputs should be the same impedence,whatever the cabinet was designed for.
    These were built in 4 and 8 ohm versions. The
    Speakon input you mentioned is a "banana" or
    "binding post" jack. It is the recommended way
    to connect your amplifier.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    umm, dude, speakon is speakon, its not "binding posts" or anything... It doesn't matter what 1/4" jack you use, they both do the same thing. why there are two is for easy daisy-chaining.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I think what slugworth was saying is that Eden cabs come with binding posts and 1/4 inch jacks. They do not come with speakons. It's possible that someone modified that particular cab to use speakons.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I would suggest you find out if you have a 4ohm, or 8ohm cab to be sure.

6. SerBass

SerBass Guest

Nov 8, 2003
  7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Right, exactly. Eden's don't have speakons
    unless the cabinet's been modified.

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree.

Get your hands on a multimeter, even a cheap one, and set it to measure ohms. Plug a speaker lead into the cab, preferably one with 1/4" jacks on both sdes. Place the terminals of the multimeter on the other end of the speaker cable, one treminal on the tip, and the other terminal on the shaft.

You are now measuring DC resistance which is slightly different than nominal impedance. But it will get you in the ball park. If the multimeter shows rougly 3 ohms DC resistance, it's a 4 ohm cab. If it shows about 6 ohms DC resistance, it's an 8 ohm cab.