Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need basic left-hand technique - are there any books on the topic?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Are there any books that will teach you how to run through scales efficiently with the left hand? For example, how do you perform a major scale run on a single string?

I purchased "Bass Exercises" by Josquin Des Pres which is a great book for building finger dexterity and flexibility but it doesn't teach left hand finger exercises in a practical context.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out Fingerboard Harmony For Bass by Gary Willis.
    Hal Leonard HL00695043
    ISBN 0-7935-6043-8

It's not so much scale-oriented (I don't think you'll be required to play scales on a single string in a real-world situation ;) ), but focuses on playing bass lines over chords and chord changes.
    Highly recommended.

3. Thanks...I'll check it out. Hey, you never know when all but one string will break.

I just want to move more effectively and efficiently. Like, when do you switch hand positions, when you hit the fifth? Which finger would fret it? Answers for those kind of questions.

4. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    i'de say move as little as possible, there's allmost always a note you're looking for within your grasp(possibly an octave higher or lower)
    and for practicing your speed i'de say play spiders over and over again(or just once or twice while practicing)
    spiders being the kinda excercise where you play
    ---41--
    --3--2-
    -2----3
    1------4
    patterns whilest moving up your fretboard

5. But sometimes you have to move up and down the fretboard. In that case, what do I do? My personal preference is to not move a lot but some music is more demand. How do I do it?