I need better pickups in my Jazz V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SantasCabanaBoy, Jul 29, 2001.

1. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001

I bought a Fender Standard 5-string jazz bass (Mexican) as a back up practice guitar and it is decent for the price but to be blunt, the pickups suck.

I play hardrock and metal and these pickups are just weak and low output. Is there a good set of passive pickups i could install that could give me output a major boost? or do i have to go with active pickups/preamp. And if i do go active do i need to get the back of the bass routed out to hold the battery and wiring?

thanks in advance!
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A favorite setup of many, many, bassists, (myself included), is high quality passive pickups with a good preamp.

You don't have to go with active pups with a preamp. Those many bassists I referred to like the purity of passive pickups. They/we find SOME actives color the sound too much and have a rather distorted top end.

For reviews and ratings of a whole truckload of after market J style pickups, go to www.bassplayer.com , click on "Gear" at the top of the page and scroll down to find a link to a J pickup shootout on the right hand side of the page.
  3. I got dimarzio ultras in my mim five string. Had to do some cutting of the bass to get them in as they are not a drop in. You may want to look at bartonilli of symore duncan pups, they may be easier to install. A good preamp for jazz basses is the j-retro, drops right in. Still waiting for mine to show up. You can get them from bass northwest. (www.bassnw.com) i think.
  4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    All I have to say is Aero Instrument Pickups....

They are the best in my book.
    They make a direct replacement for the Mexican Fender Jazz bass.

I have a pair in my custom Zon bass and I am getting another pair for my Zon Special 5.