1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need better pickups in my Jazz V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SantasCabanaBoy, Jul 29, 2001.

1. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    Hey,

I bought a Fender Standard 5-string jazz bass (Mexican) as a back up practice guitar and it is decent for the price but to be blunt, the pickups suck.

I play hardrock and metal and these pickups are just weak and low output. Is there a good set of passive pickups i could install that could give me output a major boost? or do i have to go with active pickups/preamp. And if i do go active do i need to get the back of the bass routed out to hold the battery and wiring?

thanks in advance!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A favorite setup of many, many, bassists, (myself included), is high quality passive pickups with a good preamp.

You don't have to go with active pups with a preamp. Those many bassists I referred to like the purity of passive pickups. They/we find SOME actives color the sound too much and have a rather distorted top end.

For reviews and ratings of a whole truckload of after market J style pickups, go to www.bassplayer.com , click on "Gear" at the top of the page and scroll down to find a link to a J pickup shootout on the right hand side of the page.

3. I got dimarzio ultras in my mim five string. Had to do some cutting of the bass to get them in as they are not a drop in. You may want to look at bartonilli of symore duncan pups, they may be easier to install. A good preamp for jazz basses is the j-retro, drops right in. Still waiting for mine to show up. You can get them from bass northwest. (www.bassnw.com) i think.
    eddie

4. brandinstroy

brandinstroy

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    All I have to say is Aero Instrument Pickups....

They are the best in my book.
    They make a direct replacement for the Mexican Fender Jazz bass.

I have a pair in my custom Zon bass and I am getting another pair for my Zon Special 5.