Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need bridge advice please.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I just got a new bridge and it is taller than my old one and it has adjusters. What do I cut it down to size with? I also need to know what to file the place where I put my underwood with also? And also the feet need to be a little more curved. And one more question, what do I cut the string indentions with? This is my first time with this

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  3. What an excellent link!

Thanks!

- Wil

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've also emailed you a copy of the installation instructions I've written to go with the adjustable bridges I sell.

5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Guys,
    I read all that on that page but man I am a beginner. I have no idea what all that means. I am very confused. I think I will just send the brideg back. It is adjustable like I wanted though. But it seems as though it will still be very hard to adjust because the bottom of the adjusters do not screww out of the bottom feet. I am very confused and think I have gotten into something beyond me.

6. I'm not sure where you are, but I would recommend getting an experienced luthier to fit your bridge. If it's not done correctly, it will totally screw up the sound/playability of your bass. Tip: leave it to the experts (unless of course, you don't really care what your bass sounds like, or how it plays...) Take it to a decent luthier - you know you will eventually...

Hope this helps -

- Wil

7. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    This thread just gave me a thought - I bought one of bob's adjustable bridges and installed it this weekend. However - I had to cut so much off the top to give me a nice low action, that there is barely any room left above the heart. A problem since I used the Fishman BP-100 - the elements are exposed.

Is it possible to cut from the middle of the feet - where the adjusters are? Instead of cutting the bottom of the feet or the top of the bridge?

Just wondering for the future...THANKS!

-erik

8. It's my understanding that you should cut from the middle of the feet (where the adjusters are, on the un-threaded side) er, um - see my last post...

- Wil

9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    sanquentin-
    yes it's entirely acceptable to remove wood from the unthreaded side of the leg. however, you'd then need to drill the hole, for the adjuster, a bit deeper.
    how much wood is left above the heart on this bridge of yours?

10. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Hey wil - I'm not sure which post you're referring to?!?!!?!

Nick - who's sanquentin?

I have about 1/2" above the heart for my D string. slightly more for my A.

Wish I thought of removing wood from the middle earlier. oh well.

-erik

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    IMAQUITT'N-
    It's a common practice here at Talkbass to revamp a user's name. Chris Fitzgerald and Ed Fuqua are masters at it. sanquentin is just variation of erikwhitton. It's some strange thing we do, and no offense is meant.
    Unless, of course, you post something like a commercial for yourself/your business. Then things can get hairy...;)

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Thanks for the props, but I must defer to FOGHORN on this one....he da man, and I only study at the feet of the master. I just wish he'd wash 'em more often.

Other than that, may I commend you on your most excellent and pithy explanation of this weird TB phenomenon, and also on your very nice Fuquazation of Mr. Whitton's name...every time someone new jumps on the username-twisting bandwagon and gets off a good one, I get this warm fuzzy feeling which makes me think that all is right with the world. :)