1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need Cash

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mad_Bassist777, May 8, 2010.

1. I am one bass away from my dream "family" and I need money.

I have my Geddy Lee, a John Myung signature (RBXJM Red) and all I need is a Bongo 6 and I will (I think) never need another bass. I will be happy. However, I need 1800-2600$ and I need help.:help: I am 17 and up to my neck in school stuff :bawl: so a job is out of the question but I think I have time for solo gigs that would last about an hour. Any suggestions for what to do? Solos? Cover songs? I dont know. Need suggestions. :confused:

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You really don't need more than one to be honest. Once you start saying "well I only need this one" is the point when you end up with more basses than friends...

3. Learn to prioritize , alot of things are more important then basses , like an education.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Trust me. You won't stay happy forever, even with a Bongo.

5. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    No such luck, once you play a Dingwall, you'll have to start all over.

Going to college will get you more of that good 'thang than the basses. And you can play while you are in school.

6. Do you still have two kidneys?

7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    You do not need another bass. You want another bass. You need to learn the difference. It would be very valuable knowledge at the ripe old age of 17.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    So you think you"ll have terminated G.A.S. in your life then, huh?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

9. keep one you really like and sell the other basses to someone you know that you may have a "buy-back" option. you can always buy similar basses after you're financially ok

10. +1

You've got some nice basses my friend. You'll always want another bass or amp no matter how many times you tell yourself that you'll never need another one.

11. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Patience.

12. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    If you're good enough to make a quick $2600 playing solo an hour here and there, Ernie will hunt you down to get you to endorse a Bongo.

Relax and enjoy being 17. Play your basses and concentrate on the important stuff, education and chicks. Basses will always be there, 17 won't. And in another year, neither will 17 year old chicks...

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    The Ba$$ binging? link in my sig is to a piece by Rawn Randall titled: Step Back + Take Stock.

It's a useful perspective on separating one's needs from one's wants re bass collecting.

Here's an excerpt...

"It takes a minimum 3 to 5 years or 100 gigs to form a relationship with an instrument."

I respectfully recommend that you read said piece since doing so may save you a lot of money and needless anxiety.

Also, please heed the sound advice you've been offered by other TB'ers in this thread.

Thank you.

Gary

14. have you tried soliciting a bass internet forum for money? I hear that works ;)

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You need to differentiate between need and want. You don't need another bass. In the same way that you can't get a job because of school, what makes you think you have time for gigs? Even a one hour show takes more work than a part-time job flipping burgers. Outside of getting to the gig, setting up, and tearing down, you have to find the gigs. That will take time. And even if you find the gigs, you may find they don't pay much.

If you don't have time for a part time job, you won't have time for a gig either, especially if you have to get up early for school the next day. I'm sure you'd rather play gigs for extra money, but there's no need to act like that's the only way to raise cash. You have options.

This is probably more realistic as to what would happen around here. A high school bass prodigy wants to play some gigs as a solo act. At least 80% of the venues wouldn't book an act like that, especially if the act is unknown. The other 20% might take a chance on it, but they will never have you on a weekend. And they probably won't pay you until they see you have a draw, and don't drive away the clientele. The likelyhood of a solo bass act doing well at that 20% is probably 1-5%. Now say you do well, the place will probably pay you $50-$100 bucks, but with this economy more like $50 unless you have a great draw. So at $50 a pop, it will take you 32 gigs to get your bass. If you're lucky enough to get a paid weekly gig, it will take you 8 months to get the cash for it.

Summer is coming up, so you should have some more time. Say you work at MickyDs for $7 an hour. In a 40 hour week, you'll make $280, and take home about $210. In a month you make $820. In two months you get your bass. Now say you work construction or something like that making more, you'll get your bass even faster.

16. If you're 17, you don't need a $1600 + bass. Play the Geddy and save up. The Bongos will still be there when you have the $$.

Jamerson became a legend playing ONE 4-string bass, and it was a production Fender.

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Personally, I'd sell the John Myung and get the Bongo. I don't see anything the John Myung would do taht the Bongo could not do as well or better.

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I suggest you get an amp first - the basses you have will sound much nicer.

19. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    +1 billion. Lets see, around here the only way for a bassist to work is to be in a band. And using myself as an example, Im in a cover band and make roughly between $50 to $100 per gig. How many gigs would it take for Johnny to make enough money for a Bongo 6 if he left his house at 6 pm and traveled a distance of 25 miles? ;)

20. You expect to play all three of those basses during a one hour solo set?