I need clarification on a jazz re-wire suggested by SMASH.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 6, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    initially i was asking about having one master vol. to control both pickups. However, I really liked what SMASH suggested:

People are joking about rubber bands and talking of blend pots, but you don't want to blend you just want both full-up on "10" all the time, correct?

If so, just wire both to one pot and there you go. Free and easy.

While you're at it, consider trying the series/fatter sound (but not with active pickups!). Same as above except (assuming you want the neck vol to be the master) :

- unsolder the neck hot from the middle lug of the neck pot.

- unsolder the bridge ground from the back of the bridge pot.

- when those cool, connect the two and solder them together and wrap them in tape to insulate."

My question is:
    -do i unsolder the bridge hot and re-solder it to the neck pot hot? I assume this is correct, but i dont want to screw it up!
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    OOPS! I meant to put this in the pickups forum. Mod - please move.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My goal is to give my jazz that p-bass sound via series. As I was doing the mod i decided if i wasn't going to use the other vol. knob I should omit it and take it completely out. so i did. then i did the same with the tone knob as i just like the tone maxed all the time anyway.

so now i have one knob which is master vol and no others. will this still give me the deep p-bass sound / is it still in series? or should i put the other vol. knob back in to get that deeper sound?
  5. From your description i can't really tell how you wired it, but it is possible to wire two pickups in series and use a single volume knob (it's pretty simple actually)
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I merged your thread with your recent one.
    Please keep relevant threads in the same one...

And I´ll try to answer your question if I understand it correctly.
    Yes, one of the volume knobs is completely useless now.

I did the series mod a year ago and my neck volume knob is the master volume now. The bridge volume doesn´t do anything any more. I did not mess with the tone knob though, left it as it was.
  7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    okay I'll try to be more specific. The only knob that exists in the control plate is one volume knob.

1. i soldered all the grounds to one location (star ground?)
    2. i soldered the hot lead from the one pot to the jack.
    3. i completely removed the other vol. pot and completely removed the tone pot. I have heard that less pots you have the less resistance therefore the more output your bass can put out (true?). That was the reasoning for removing those two pots. Plus, i dont use them anyway.

problem is the master volume doesnt completely turn off the volume so obviously i did something wrong.

My question is: if i re-introduce the other vol. pot will that put the setup back in series?

obviously i dont know what the heck i am doing :eyebrow:

As stated before my goal is to have one master volume knob and to have the setup in series so that i can achieve that lower p-bass sound that is possible with a series setup.

suggestions? :)
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Sounds like the problem is you're basically running one pup direct out the jack so you're not going to be able to cut volume completely cause you skipped the pot.

Wire the hot from neck to center lug of pot.
    Wire the left lug to hot of the jack.
    Right pot lug is typically grounded to the volume pot back.
    Wire the ground lead of the neck pup to the hot lead of the bridge pup (shrinkwrap, wirenut, tapeover the connection).

Common ground the bridge pup ground wure, the pot, bridge wire, and jack.

Yes, technically the fewer components you run through the less adulterated the tone. Depending on the variation and the individual setup, sometimes the difference is indistinguishable, sometimes pronounced. Don't know till you try.