Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need closure on luthite, please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBohn, Jul 1, 2002.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I've done searches, I've asked real people at music stores, I've gotten lab reports, I've melted luthite in a controlled environment, I've done everything I can, but I still cannot get a clear answer on the performance and durability of luthite in bass guitar bodies. Specifically on a Cort Curbow fretless. Is there anything to be worried about with having luthite as the body? Will it melt at reasonable South Florida temperatures of 78 to 97 degrees? Do I have to worry about intonation getting screwed up because the neck moved? Will screws go loose because the luthite in the screw holes molded and became loose? Personally, I have no problem with the tone of it, and I recently played one and I think it has some nice mwah to it. Please help me out here. :eek:

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well thank you for the 2 posts against luthite, Washburn. You make me feel like this luthite is kryptonite or something. :p

Other responses would be much obliged. :D

3. If Arizona heat is any indication, no worries. I have owned a Cort Curbow and had no problems. You don't address the luthite smell, so I guess it's not an issue for you. If it sounds and feels good, buy it. I have also owned and still play an Ibanez EDA905, which has a radical body shape. I donated it to my church for tax purposes, and still get to play it every week. No storage headaches either. For me, luthite gets a nice modern sound, but no growl. I gotta have my growl. Everybody's taste being subjective, stick with your gut instincts and heed my advice above. No need for me 2C a picture, as I have played the Cort Curbow fretless at The Bass Place in Tempe. Looks nice, plays OK. Sole drawback for me is the awkwardness of playing it while seated, due to the minimal lower horn. Most of my fretless gigs are seated, so it's my good ol' Mexican Jazz (with BadAssII) for me.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the luthite smell goes away after a while...one of our talkbassers, luis fabara has a cort curbow...and he lives in ecuador. i don't think florida will melt your bass, man...and the neck is made of maple with a rockwood (or phenowood) fretboard. that stuff ain't goin' nowhere, but maple will move on you. if you're worried about it, greg (curbow) will be back in his shop in another week or so, and he would be glad to talk to you about anything regarding these basses. he's an awesome go to talk with, and he knows his *poop*

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Very nice. I'm not sure about the growl thing, but next time I play it, I will try to see into it. Once Greg gets back, I'll definitely talk to him about this. Thanks for the further advice, guys.:)

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
  7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Cooool, I'm sending him one right now, and asking about a custom fretless 6er in cort-curbow series. Thanks for the email address.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmmm, by my searching of previous threads, there seemed to be a few others from last year who contacted Greg to try to custom a Cort-Curbow fretless 6er, but Greg said he could defret them and make them have lines. Hmm, is it possible to remove the ebonol fretboard and replace it with an ebonol, or even better, diamondwood or ebony fretboard, with no lines? I really want no lines. Ah damn, theres always a catch. Crap. :(

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you could always have greg build you one from the ground up...i have a usa curbow rockwood 6 string, and i've played several others...awesome basses, man...you should consider it.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I definitely will. Once Greg gets back, I'll have a talk with him.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this - personally I hate the sound of Luthite, but tone is subjective. For me, the Fender J "growl" is something I always want to get in a bass and for me, the sound of maple is what I want to hear!

I remember there were some big,heated discussions about this a few years ago on TB, and for the sake of research (backing up my arguments ;)) I went into shops and tried basses made of luthite and found that I universally hated the tone.

Graphite basses like Status are slightly better but still don't get the tone I like - just give me more maple!! ;)

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bruce, you are aware that Jazz™ Basses typically have Alder, Ash, or Poplar bodies, right? ;)

13. luthite smells goooooood! :D

14. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    The screws in the bodies do strip easier than wood, IME with luthite ibanez's. consider yourself cautioned.

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    boomerang, I am aware of this, yet I have read that Cort Curbow use a special mixture different to the luthite of Ibanez. Maybe that did the trick with durability? I still do not know for sure. Thanks for your reply anyways.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you can get cort curbows from greg, as you have seen...he normally uses brass inserts with his usa made basses...i bet he would be more than glad to drill out the stock holes and drop in some. or, you could do it yourself. just another suggestion. luthite begins as a clay like substance, and retains a lot of the properties of clay...ie, often used holes will strip...and yes, the corts are a different mixture than the ibanez models. it really just changes the density and has the same effect as using a different body wood.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but maple just sounds even better - so (for example) a Sadowsky Jazz bass made of flame or quilt maple has even more growl and more of the sound I like!! Hey - even the latest top-of-the-range US Fenders have flame maple!

I think the other woods are just used to cut costs - Fender are factory production-line basses after all!
    Maple rules! ;)

18. I prefer Alder and Ash. I've never played a luthite body bass I really liked. Part of what I look for in a bass is the acoustic tone. Luthite basses sound so flat, and it comes through the amp that way too. For S&G, I played a newer Ibanez Ergodyne
    [​IMG]

and I can say that I didn't like a thing about it.

I played it through an Eden rig, so I couldn't blame that. The tone was aweful, even with the EQ set the way I like it. It might have been the piezo sound that i was not getting into, also. I dunno, not my kind of bass.

I can remember playing only one curbow, and I want to think it wasn't as bas as the Ibanez experience, but I recall preferring the tone of my P bass.

19. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmm, well I'm still seeing how my money is going to work either for this Cort Curbow fretless 6er or this really nice Roscoe Custom fretless 6er I cant get out of my head since boogiebass got one. Thing is its like 2 to 3 times as much. I want the best, you know, but I got to balance my priorities. With that extra $1500 I could buy more cabinets or another bass, like a classic MIA P-Bass like I always wanted.

Basically, it comes down to quality because I want something that'll last me for a long time and sound half decent.

20. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    The thing what I'm debating about is is that extra $1500 worth it for quality, construction, and tone of the Roscoe Custom fretless 6er over the Custom Cort Curbow fretless 6er. That's the ultimate question here.

Link to that Roscoe boogie got that I want.

Roscoe Custom fretless 6er