1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need custom bass recomendations...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistmatt506, May 3, 2006.

1. bassistmatt506

bassistmatt506 Guest

May 3, 2006
    Hi I am a bassist (duh) looking to buy a custom bass guitar for a good price. I am highly considering getting a DP (Dave Pushic) bass, is this a good choice and is there other good luthiers you recomend that have a fair price?

2. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    do a search here for stambaugh.

you can thank me later...:D

Chad

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Also, do a search for threads on DP custom guitars and Dave Pushic. Make sure you understand what you're looking at.

4. Staaaaambaugh...
    *drools*
    :bassist:

5. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Check out Stambaugh. Really nice guy, and his work comes highly recomended on TB.

6. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  7. Dude said 'fair' price, not 'fairly exorbitant'...

:bag:

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Does fair mean under $2k or $3k?

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

He probably wants it within this decade as well.

10. The unmitigated gall-
    :eek:
    I dig CTs, but I'd have to sell my cutest kid, or the two average-looking ones to pay for one.
    :ninja:

EDIT: NO OFFERS, PLEASE.

11. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yeah, I know. I'm bad.

I should not have slandered such a prolific builder...how he can keep up with his busy build schedule is beyond me.

12. I am also a huge smack-talker.
    :rolleyes:
    Straight-up jealous, thats' all...
    Besides that, I'm slower than CT- I started a mini-bass for my son; meaning to have it done for his 5th birthday, he's now 7, & it ain't done...
    :rollno:

13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here you go;

See the Stambaugh pre sale announcemnent in the classified section. Might be what your looking for with out the wait.
    Peace

14. Mike Adler, Keith Roscoe, Cliff Bordwell, the names could go on and on....

Do some searches on this forum on some of the names - make a list - TRY THEM OUT (travel to other cities may be involved, and owners may not let you try theirs...)

Everything depends on your specifications and your price range. As for the wait, good things come to those who wait...seems we've lost that sentiment in our modern culture.

Also remember - you get what you pay for.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Chris Stambaugh
    Bud Lecompte
    Pete Skjold
    Cliff Bordwell
    Marchlewski (I forget his first name, Jason? Justin?)
    JP Basses
    Chris Benevente
    Sheldon Dingwall
    Keith Roscoe
    Jersy Drozd

Im sure there are many more. The first three I listed are more reasonably priced (under 3k), but I believe they are all priced fairly, for their time and workmanship. Thats not to say the 8-9K basses are better than the 2-3K ones, but sometimes the higher priced ones will have more asthetics involved, and/or more work involved in production.

16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Search the threads on DP CAREFULLY before you buy. The best lower cost semi-customs I have played are the Matt Pucinella basses. He does REALLY nice stuff.

I have no experience with DP, but I won't have any - given the feedback there is on the different threads here and elsewhere. Here is one review I found -
    http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=2005&type=bass
    To be fair, there are two other reviews that rate his basses highly, but a 33% chance of getting a POS from a builder, NO THANKS!

Dan K.

17. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    It really is all about Stambaugh.

18. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Yep:

[​IMG]

;)

19. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

+1, Matt makes really nice stuff at a VERY reasonable price. Lightweight too...how can you beat that???