Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need da pros' advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PlaidedBlack, Jul 27, 2001.

1. PlaidedBlack

PlaidedBlack

Jul 27, 2001
    Hey all...I've been in love with basses for a long time and I finally saved enough money to pay for all equipments and lessons. I just need some advices from ya all: How do I choose a bass that's not so $$$$$$$$ but good enough for a beginner? And What are the exact equipments do I need? blah blah....I'm desperate for all the related info, BTW, I like Fender...

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I can help you. For your first amp I HIGHLY recommend a Peavey microbass. yeah, yeah, its a peavey. Peavey sucks, you say. But the Microbass is quite possibly the best beginner amp around. It goes for around $150 and has 20 watts of power, which is HUGE for a starter amp.

Now on the subject of first bass... my first bass was a squier precision bass and I hated it. I think you should get an Ibanez soundgear or a fender standard series Jazz bass or Precision bass. Standard series fenders are made in mexico and will run you around $300ish. Ibanez soundgears come in many different versions. You can get them for $200 to $1000.

Id say that the ultimate newbie rig is an Ibanez Soundgear and a Peavey Microbass.

check out the microbass' review at: http://www.bassplayer.com/z1999/9908f/amps.shtml

I am always glad to help a new bassist, as I was one just a couple years back.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    oh yeah heres the equipment you will need:

-Bass
    -Combo Amp (thats a small amp with the speaker and amp in the same box. More expensive ones have these things seperate...)
    -Cable (get yourself a good $20 one.)
    -Strap (any old guitar strap will do.)
    -Tuner (you get what you pay for. $30 should be enough for an accurate tuner. I recommend my KORG GT-3. Great basic chromatic tuner.)
    -Picks? (about 20 cents each if you want to use them. I highly recommend Dunlop Tortex ones. I use orange .60mm and yellow .73mm ones)
    -Gig bag (take your bass to and from lessons and hopefully gigs in the near future. Not sure how much these cost... work out some kinda deal with your music store owner.)
    -Stand (optional for putting your bass on a stand when you arent using it.)

that should be enough to get you started!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    bass
    do a search in the used market for japanese squier/fender jazz or precision bass they are the best for the money. make sure not to buy a new squier made in korea or china.

if you want a new bass go for a yamaha bbn4

amp
    try the fender bassman 25
    if you want more power ampeg b 100r

you'll be an happy man!

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I stand by my Peavey recommendation. It got better reviews than the bassman did.

Yamahas and japanese squiers are great basses though.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Its impressive how that tinny thing sounds.
    The other day I played on a very small party, and when I saw the Bass amp I said "Come On!! Do I have to use that piece of $·%·$%"
    Well, when I plugged my bass In and hit the B string It sounded incredibly loud of its size.
    I never thought that a combo that size could even reproduce the low B without distorting like a fart.
    That Peavey Microbass is even better than the Basic112. And indeed very good.

7. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would suggest that you look in the classified ads here. You can get some pretty good deals on used equipment. Try and find a nice bass used, you can save some money and buy more stuff :) But I haven't had the chance to play a microbass amp. But a fender dosen't sound bad. You can get it repaired just about anywhere. Just try to find a decent bass and amp. But you should try used first then look for new.