Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I NEED ESSEX SOUNDCLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist6464, Jun 14, 2004.

1. bassist6464

bassist6464

Jun 12, 2004
    Please i am considering buying a essex and i want to hear how it jams soooo if you have a sound clip please by all means post it so i can hear

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Doesn't everyone replace the guts of these, once they get 'em anyway?

3. Isn't it apparent by now that a soundclip on a pc thru crappy speakers isn't wholly reprasentative of the actual instrument?

Well, maybe it is here.... :smug:

C'mon, servicable instrument or not, it's 150 bucks or less...how good do you expect it to sound?

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, no doubt... Which, is why I was under the impression that most folks buy these to hot rod them.

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

Mine sounds pretty damn good. The stock pickups have some serious bottom end to them. I actually roll the neck pickup off a bit (70%neck/100%bridge). Sounds even fatter than a Fender Jazz with a series switch. I was going to change pickups, but I am actually worried that changing to other single coils will actually give me less bottom end. Get an SX. Do a decent setup, and you will be ready to go.

And FWIW, I detune mine DGCF and have no problem with buzzing or floppy strings.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Go to www.elpus.com Click on the "music" section, and listen to the song "Arrogant". That's an Essex Jazz.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Nope, mine is bone stock and has been recorded on 7 major label projects, including 2 songs on India.Arie's upcoming CD.

8. Now THAT is a testimonial.

Serious. Cool stuff.

My generalization about Essex basses are NOT to say they all sound bad good or otherwise, moreso to say that you're not going to hear the actual instrument you're buying anyway, and with anything mailorder, it's a crapshoot....

(with a little jab thrown in) :smug:

Hell, 119 bucks IS tough to beat. Really tough. So tough in fact I may buy one someday, if I'm itching for a J style instrument...

9. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    What kind of preamp/amp did you use on that Woodchuck?

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    :eek: :eek:

Wow, that is a raving testimonial!

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I recorded "Arrogant" through a mic'd Ampeg flip top B15 and ran the signal through an Avalon. On the India.Arie songs, I plugged into an Aguilar DB900, and went through the board.

12. edit due to confusion of intent...

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I think he was agreeing with you.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Woodchuck, the bass sounds great and you're playing your ass off! AND you recorded with India.Arie? THAT is just too cool , I love her!
    you ARE the man!

15. If that's the case, then I retract and humbly apologize.

And Woodchuck, that's still very cool. Congrats.

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ummm, :confused:

I was merely echoing your comment. Someone using one of these SX's in a recording session, kinda suprized me.

17. Like I said, very sorry.

Thing is about the net as we know is the intent is sometimes lost in text, as was here. As was posts I made a few weeks ago...I just read into it wrong.

So again, sorry. We're cool, I trust.

:D

So yeah, I think I'd like to try an Essex J. Already have a P. :bassist:

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The funny thing is, I got one with the intention of modding it, but when I brought it to the studio, Darryl Swann (producer for Macy Gray), heard it, and said, "Let's go with this one." After listening to the playback, I decided to leave it alone. Afterwards, I took it on a recording date, and the owner of the studio kept it for his "house bass". Even after I took it back, I was getting calls to record and to "bring the blue bass. I like that one." I've had it for about 2 years, and I'm going to replace the neck because of a dead spot, but for the money I paid, that's not too bad. It's been played on MANY live gigs by me and 3 other bassists, and she sounded great.

19. Wow. Is the one you have the one with the painted headstock? I quite like the matching headstock on a J bass.